Quantcast
Building a studio for $10K - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Building a studio for $10K
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Building a studio for $10K

I'm getting to the end of building my new post-production suite and since it was on a ridiculously tight budget, I'd thought I'd share some of my money saving techniques.

It all started in this building which we have been using for storage for a long time.
Attached Thumbnails
Building a studio for K-building01.jpg  
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
A few walls needed to be removed for starters. I used a sawz-all and cut the studs top and bottom, then took the time to pull out the nails that were in them. At $4.50 for a 10' 2 x 4, reusing the old ones saved a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Building a studio for K-dsc08783.jpg  
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Don't assume that Home Depot has the lowest prices. I think many of us just think that way because of their market saturation and advertising, but I have found framing lumber and NM electrical wire cheaper at a True Value hardware store - where I would have expected them to be more than HD.

Better yet, go to a supply house where they serve contractors only, tell them you are starting a business building studios, and buy from them at a huge discount over retail. I have done this for plumbing, electrical and HVAC with no problems at all.
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
This will be the studio with the control room on the other side of the chimney. I didn't want a drop ceiling in the studio, so I removed the ceiling and lights and sold them on CL.
Attached Thumbnails
Building a studio for K-dsc08784.jpg  

Last edited by AdAudioInc; 16th September 2012 at 11:11 PM.. Reason: picture
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Rather than spend many thousands on a pre-made acoustical window, I built mine like this. My brother-in-law runs a glass company, so the 1/2" laminated glass was very reasonably priced.

Simple 1" x 3" lumber makes very cheap trim. If you want to add some detail, you can add a chamfer to each side with a hand plane - or miter the corners and use a dark stain.
Attached Thumbnails
Building a studio for K-windowframing.jpg   Building a studio for K-windowdetails.jpg   Building a studio for K-dsc09049.jpg  
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Look for paint in the opps paint section of Home Depot. I got 2 gallons of a nice color for the studio - $14.
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Rather than cover the floor at this point with hardwood or carpet, I rented a floor sander and then put a few coats of poly on it.

Floor sander @ $50 for the day
Poly @ $25 for the gallon
Attached Thumbnails
Building a studio for K-crfloor.jpg  
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I used 2 doors between CR and studio - the first door is solid mahogany, about 100 lbs. found on CL for $100. The second is a solid core slab bought at HD for $60. I had to mortise the hinges and drill for the lock set though. The door stops will extend all the way around - even across the threshold for a tight seal. I found weather strip on Amazon for much less than HD. When I get around to acoustical treatment, I will make a 2' x 4' absorber to hang on the back of the studio door to help dampen the sound lock cavity. I'll make the frame from scrap lumber and use some of the old ceiling tiles from the drop ceiling as absorbent material (they are 1/2" fiberglass - semi rigid). The frame will get covered with a micro fiber sheet stretched across the face - $4.98 Walmart. 1 sheet should be enough to do 4 of these panels.
Attached Thumbnails
Building a studio for K-doors01.jpg  
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I looked for insulation on CL, but didn't seem to be able to find deals on it. So sadly, I paid retail for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Building a studio for K-insulation02.jpg  
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Attached Thumbnails
Building a studio for K-rocked01.jpg  
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Interesting thread. Finding ways to save money is always good.
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
In the studio with back toward CR
Attached Thumbnails
Building a studio for K-studio1wall01sm.jpg  
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Toward CR
Attached Thumbnails
Building a studio for K-studio1wall02.jpg  
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Looking good so far, can't wait to see it finished
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAudioInc ➑️
At $4.50 for a 10' 2 x 4, reusing the old ones saved a lot.
I put too much work into saving used wood and cut scraps. I probably have 600 cubic feet of the stuff. But I use it and it's better than landfilling then re-buying!
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncamorea ➑️
I put too much work into saving used wood and cut scraps. I probably have 600 cubic feet of the stuff. But I use it and it's better than landfilling then re-buying!
This is a good point - often being thrifty means also conserving resources.
πŸ“ Reply