Quantcast
Need Help with studio layout, pics and 3D render included - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need Help with studio layout, pics and 3D render included
Old 10th February 2009
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Need Help with studio layout, pics and 3D render included

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum but have been checking it for a while to answer questions I have had in the past. I am now building a studio in a spare bedroom and due to the awkward layout of the room, am not sure exactly the best way acoustically to lay out the equipment. The room is approximately 10' X 13' with 8' cieling. Along one wall is built in shelving that must stay. My main delemma is whether to place my desk/monitor setup so that my back will be facing the built ins and use them as diffusors with bass trapping in the corners(pictured), or put the shelving behind the desk so im looking towards it. Check out the pics, and i even made an accurate 3D render of the room so you can see. If you want a different perspective of the room please let me know and i can either take a separate shot or adjust the render. Oh and sorry for the mess in the pics, I'm in the process of cleaning it out. Thanks so much guys. Dave.

Old 11th February 2009
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Bump

Anyone? could use some help. thanks
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Hey.
You'll be best putting your desk with the window. and sit 38% out in the room.
In a room that small, stick with absorption only. It's too small for diffusors.
Cover all the corners with basstrap (remember, a room has 12 corners), and cover some of the backwall too, if possible due to speaker reflection.
Remember floor - ceiling reflections. Have one or two panels above your head too.
Use 4" thickness for basstraps atleast if you're DIY.

After covering the corners with basstrap, consider the first reflection points, they are quite important so you don't get your left speaker sound in your right ear and on.. (use atleast 2" panels for first refl.). If your unsure about where to tame the 1st. reflection points, and where to place your monitors, and how etc. check out realtraps article: RealTraps - How To Set Up a Room (figure 4, for 1.reflections.)
Also check out Ethan Winer's acoustic article! Very useful! Acoustic Treatment and Design for Recording Studios and Listening Rooms
GIK also have some good articles: GIK Acoustics presents Acoustics Primer: Some Basics on Acoustics.

Happy cleaning!
Mixbuster
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Try posting this in the studio acoustic Studio building / acoustics forum. There are more people helping with this kind of stuff.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…