The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Circle Studios Birmingham - studio build/refurb
Old 16th January 2019 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Wow! I just spotted that it is ten years today since we put the formwork in place to start the first live room build at the start of this thread!

In that ten years I’ve won a Grammy, worked on all genres of music making records ranging from Manowar and Diamond Head to Henry Rollins, The Enemy, Mr Hudson and Mahalia, worked on music for PlayStation games, TV, film and ads for production companies all over the world, have played host to artists from as far afield as America and Indonesia and mixed records from all four corners of the world.

Roll on the next ten years.
Old 22nd January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➡️
Wow! I just spotted that it is ten years today since we put the formwork in place to start the first live room build at the start of this thread!

In that ten years I’ve won a Grammy, worked on all genres of music making records ranging from Manowar and Diamond Head to Henry Rollins, The Enemy, Mr Hudson and Mahalia, worked on music for PlayStation games, TV, film and ads for production companies all over the world, have played host to artists from as far afield as America and Indonesia and mixed records from all four corners of the world.

Happy birthday Trevor! The next ten will be even better
Old 22nd January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

87 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Happy 10th Trev...time flies when you're enjoying yourself. Thanks for the insight
Old 25th January 2019 | Show parent
Founder

Quote:

Congrats Trev! Long time no see! Let's grab a curry soon!
Old 16th January 2021 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Wow. Another 2 years have passed and I’m still alive and kicking. This year has been a tough one. I got covid in April 2020 while skiing with Thomas who designed the studio. Sadly I haven’t found it easy to throw and my health has been up and down all year. Almost all recording projects got cancelled because I couldn’t see how it was possible to create a safe environment for working. I did however manage to do a few remote mixing sessions. One of them just dropped globally and I have to say, it’s one I’m particularly proud of:

Old 17th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Get well mate!
Old 18th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Wow. Another 2 years have passed and I’m still alive and kicking. This year has been a tough one. I got covid in April 2020 while skiing with Thomas who designed the studio. Sadly I haven’t found it easy to throw and my health has been up and down all year. Almost all recording projects got cancelled because I couldn’t see how it was possible to create a safe environment for working. I did however manage to do a few remote mixing sessions. One of them just dropped globally and I have to say, it’s one I’m particularly proud of:

Some intense stuff for sure! Hope you feel better soon.

I've not been on the forum much at all in years, but awesome to see how long the studio has been going, incredible work dude!
Old 22nd January 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
One of them just dropped globally and I have to say, it’s one I’m particularly proud of:

Ah, mate - that sounds awesome! Love the conductor bouncing about, really in to it!

Last edited by Micoholic; 22nd January 2021 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 22nd January 2021 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Thank you man. I see it's no.1 on the Amazon chart for the week to date. Fingers crossed we'll get a big chart entry this week!
Old 27th February 2021 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Never really thought I'd be resurrecting this thread but...

Starting next week the Circle Studios complex will begin the next phase of construction. To my significant surprise the Stone Room rarely got rented out except for photo and video shoots and it doesn't make a decent return on that. As a result, it sits empty most of the time. Next week we begin work to turn it into a control room. I can't bring myself to tear down the stone gabions though so they will basically become a massive 2 feet deep natural stone diffuser at the back of the room. I'm going to hard wire it to the wooden room and put it out on long term let as a standalone studio suite for some lucky producer/engineer. At the same time we are going to do some acoustic work on the edit room so that can also be put out on long term let. My basic thinking is if those rooms can all be earning passive income without the need for me being in the building, well, I can take more time off rather than working like a dog all the time.

I'm super happy to say that the carpenter that did the last control room build has agreed to do the new room so the craftsmanship will be second to none.

Watch this space!
Old 28th February 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thomas doing these also mate?
Old 1st March 2021 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut ➡️
Thomas doing these also mate?
Sadly if I was to invest that much I'd need to get a much higher return than the market would support so they won't be Northward rooms. On the bright side, my carpenter worked on my own control room so understand the need for precision and that he can not cut corners.
Old 2nd March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Looking forward to check out the new build.

Best of luck Trevor!
Old 5th March 2021 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
First load of timber arrived for the next phase of our build...
Attached Thumbnails
Circle Studios Birmingham - studio build/refurb-1c33ec90-1c08-44bc-babb-d3423301ef5b.jpg  
Old 6th March 2021 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
So it begins...
Attached Thumbnails
Circle Studios Birmingham - studio build/refurb-9d391e47-66c9-460d-ace5-4e8807d006c0.jpg   Circle Studios Birmingham - studio build/refurb-90e3ee57-4384-4120-8d2c-b593a9955305.jpg   Circle Studios Birmingham - studio build/refurb-ecd20a2f-fe76-41e4-a307-c48893200e03.jpg  
Old 13th March 2021 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Control room B is starting to take shape...
Attached Thumbnails
Circle Studios Birmingham - studio build/refurb-160003255_10160498135538765_5676253548625773753_o.jpg   Circle Studios Birmingham - studio build/refurb-160300758_10160498135418765_32160886936842271_o.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent

🎧 10 years
First fix going in for the lights...
Attached Thumbnails
Circle Studios Birmingham - studio build/refurb-ac40b6d5-3612-4260-89a4-c7ebfa91e6e2.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Materials arrived for us to start building up the layers of acoustic treatment...

As a side note, how can it be that you can almost entirely fill a 5m x 4m room with materials which will be almost entirely invisible in another similar sized room...
Attached Thumbnails
Circle Studios Birmingham - studio build/refurb-e7840f6f-6b22-43ba-8ec2-b46365f71622.jpg  
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Control room B is starting to take shape...
what kind subwoofers are these? do you use them in the studio, for band rehersals or live?

🎧 10 years
Lol. They are PA subs. Just being stored in there.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
that's been pretty obvious :-) reason i was asking is that some rare folks DO use pa's (for reamping and rehearsing) in studios... - anyway, keep us posted on further progress!

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➡️
that's been pretty obvious :-) reason i was asking is that some rare folks DO use pa's (for reamping and rehearsing) in studios... - anyway, keep us posted on further progress!
We don't do rehearsals here. TBF I have used the PA in the past to reamp drums through the stone room in real time while recording them in the big room. In fact, I did it on the Enemy's last album: It's Automatic. I think I posted a video somewhere when I did it...
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Coming together...
Attached Thumbnails
Circle Studios Birmingham - studio build/refurb-02b518ee-63d1-49a4-99ec-7f77068e8cad.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent

🎧 10 years
That’s all of the treatment done....
Attached Thumbnails
Circle Studios Birmingham - studio build/refurb-c1368aba-134e-4526-b843-0cf99663d9b0.jpg  
Old 1 week ago | Show parent

🎧 10 years
100m of camira fabric in for Studio B. Big thanks to GIK acoustics for the swift delivery
Attached Thumbnails
Circle Studios Birmingham - studio build/refurb-c1ae7374-9669-4cf9-b219-ba4521eb56df.jpg  
Old 1 week ago | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Incredibly I managed to get my hands on 42 square metres of the same wooden flooring that I used in the rest of the complex, so it will be a seamless transition from the corridor into Studio B! Exciting to see it all come together!
Attached Thumbnails
Circle Studios Birmingham - studio build/refurb-ea16e045-6f1f-4d8c-93b1-a1ec7ce7d0f0.jpg  
Old 2 days ago | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Turns out the wooden flooring is not in fact exactly the same. The planks are tiny! But it’s going down anyway 😂 (and to be fair it’s looking quite cool).
Attached Thumbnails
Circle Studios Birmingham - studio build/refurb-555ef468-3f25-4005-8502-dbde441da957.jpg  
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Looking great boss! Vm interested to see the final outcome. Is this another live space or CR?
Old 1 day ago | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut ➡️
Looking great boss! Vm interested to see the final outcome. Is this another live space or CR?
Control room B! Coming together. (And sounding great!)
Old 1 day ago | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Floor is down, and the final layer of glass wool is up (along with the netting to retain it..)
Attached Thumbnails
Circle Studios Birmingham - studio build/refurb-b65ddabc-1f33-42c5-a1c2-460f48048925.jpg  
📝 Reply