The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Manifold Recording - Studio Construction Thread
Old 9th February 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus ➑️
Truly impressive and I am truly jealous. And I am excited this is basically in my backyard. I am working trying to finish up our music project and have been thinking about going into a studio to mix it. Manifold seems like the place to do it at. When do you expect to be done?
I'm hoping we can officially start taking on projects in mid-October. We now have a complete construction schedule from here to the CO (certificate of occupancy), and if there are slips, we'll know it. But so far we're tracking to our daily and weekly schedules for a mid-October opening.

Send me a PM if you want to talk in greater detail!
Old 11th February 2010 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
wow 3 days and no bump! cant wait to see the next update!!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by polloymedio ➑️
wow 3 days and no bump! cant wait to see the next update!!
Yep--not feeling good about that. But I've got about 5 jobs to do right now, and time enough for two, so the photos are still on the digital media card, not yet uploaded.

Soon you'll see that we have three walls framed, dividing Booths A and B, B and C, C and the Utility room, and we have rafters over Booth C. Use your imagination ;
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Rendering

I'm here, in ZENN Position, creating that innerpicture of Manifold Recording......

Floating away, rendering starts.....

Offcourse I'm holding the helm behind that big mixingdesk.... Though everytime I touch the faders I feel a somewhat cardboard sensation, and an error message displays in the monitor..... saying ERROR PICTURE NOT CLEAR.....

So I looked it up online on the ERROR webpage some nerd put together as Microsoft nor other manufacturers do wanna display those in public..... (send him a donation over Paypall.)

Guess what it says;

NEED MORE PICTURES; DATABASE ERROR Occurance due to picture database not complete. Needs more input to create full rendering.......

Go figure....
Old 12th February 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

10 new photos

This is just a tease of what's happening, but it's the best I can do right now...

The Booth framing is up:

Various components for the next phase of framing are either here or being installed. The spring isolators:

When all is said and done those springs will be able to carry our 6-ton ceiling with a good 4 tons of safety margin.

Insulation fill:

Hat Channel:

And the steel showed up. Here are the welders finalizing the joint between two pieces of W10x77 wide flange steel:

According to the head of the framing crew, in his 20+ years of building large residential estates in North Carolina, he's never seen such large steel in any of his plans. The beam that's being welded tips the scales at nearly 2-1/2 tons...which is just about the limit of the crane that came to deliver them!

More details this weekend, when I have a chance to blog!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Great work and thanks for the detailed thread!

Question: I noticed the booths were framed with staggered studs instead of independent. With all the real-estate and great isolation I found this suprising. Do you not expect to need the extra isolation in the booths or do you think you will get the higher isolation even with this technique?

Nathan
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus ➑️

Question: I noticed the booths were framed with staggered studs instead of independent. With all the real-estate and great isolation I found this suprising. Do you not expect to need the extra isolation in the booths or do you think you will get the higher isolation even with this technique?

Nathan
Yeah I was expecting a "room in a room" approach.
Curious to hear more details about that too.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Are there separate slabs for the separate booths?
Old 13th February 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus ➑️

The isolation difference between double walls (room-in-room) and staggered studs is not very large, and the staggered studs provides us with the ability to fit the diagonal wall between the windows without interrupting the view. Remember, with the angles we have, the B<->C wall is about 15% wider where it hits the east-west wall than if we hit it straight in.

We're expecting just under STC 60 with our approach, vs. just over STC 60 with a room-in-room approach. It's good enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matskull ➑️
Yeah I was expecting a "room in a room" approach.
Curious to hear more details about that too.
Another detail is that the A<->B wall is straight in, so we can make it much thicker. We're doing resilient channel on one side, which also gives us great isolation. The doors in between are STC 51, so the wall is not the rate-limiting step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaFaV ➑️
Are there separate slabs for the separate booths?
Of course. Check back in the history (December 2008/January 2009) and you can see the foam inserts between all the slabs in the different rooms.
Old 13th February 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless ➑️
Of course. Check back in the history (December 2008/January 2009) and you can see the foam inserts between all the slabs in the different rooms.
Cool. I thought so, it's just not visible in the new pics, except in the door, which I wasn't sure was a gap and an insert.
Old 14th February 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Another weekly blog posting is up, with almost two dozen photos detailing progress inside and out.

Here's a photo not on the blog showing what didn't make the cut:

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The isolation difference between double walls (room-in-room) and staggered studs is not very large, and the staggered studs provides us with the ability to fit the diagonal wall between the windows without interrupting the view. Remember, with the angles we have, the B<->C wall is about 15% wider where it hits the east-west wall than if we hit it straight in.

We're expecting just under STC 60 with our approach, vs. just over STC 60 with a room-in-room approach. It's good enough.

Another detail is that the A<->B wall is straight in, so we can make it much thicker. We're doing resilient channel on one side, which also gives us great isolation. The doors in between are STC 51, so the wall is not the rate-limiting step.

STC 60 is good enough but I was under the impression that you would go for a higher STC, hence why I asked the question.
It will be a great place no matter what, most studio have an STC around 55-60 apparently.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matskull ➑️
STC 60 is good enough but I was under the impression that you would go for a higher STC, hence why I asked the question.
It will be a great place no matter what, most studio have an STC around 55-60 apparently.
There's two ways to look at this:

1. Bleed vs. leakage. The main building was designed as a single unified environment, which means that if sound does travel from one room to another within the main building, it's going to be musically relevant and can be treated as bleed. Heck, even reasonably high-spec analog tape can only muster 60 dB of print-through attenuation, and the reason that's OK is because even then, as strange as it sounds, whatever is happening one revolution away on the tape spool is musically connected to what's passing the tape head at that instant. So 60dB is a fine spec for controlling bleed.

2. Different studios. Unlike the multiplex, where the sci-fi blow-up-the-world movie always leaks into the quiet drama next door, our two studios are in different buildings, separated by walls that should top out at more than STC 90. In that case, we can mix a futuristic sci-fi blow-up-the-world sound track in the Annex and still have a mighty (and uncompromised) reverb tail in the Music Room.

That's our theory, anyway.
Old 15th February 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
There's two ways to look at this:

1. Bleed vs. leakage. The main building was designed as a single unified environment, which means that if sound does travel from one room to another within the main building, it's going to be musically relevant and can be treated as bleed. Heck, even reasonably high-spec analog tape can only muster 60 dB of print-through attenuation, and the reason that's OK is because even then, as strange as it sounds, whatever is happening one revolution away on the tape spool is musically connected to what's passing the tape head at that instant. So 60dB is a fine spec for controlling bleed.

2. Different studios. Unlike the multiplex, where the sci-fi blow-up-the-world movie always leaks into the quiet drama next door, our two studios are in different buildings, separated by walls that should top out at more than STC 90. In that case, we can mix a futuristic sci-fi blow-up-the-world sound track in the Annex and still have a mighty (and uncompromised) reverb tail in the Music Room.

That's our theory, anyway.
Totally right, if the bleed is musicial, it can't hurt, I'm sure it'll sound great.
Old 17th February 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Sparks are flying!

Sparks are flying inside and out. Hat Channel is being cut in preparation for putting up the ceiling drywall in the Music Room:

Outside we set the steel for the Annex roof. Here's some fire-cutting action:

And the happy result at the end of the day:

I'll give more of the blow-by-blow on my blog this weekend.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Sparks are flying inside and out. Hat Channel is being cut
Wow! All that work for a dedicated Hi Hat channel?! This place really is the real deal!

sorry....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
YAWP!

In honor of your roofs.
Old 19th February 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Rafters are going up on the Annex roof. Here's the inside view:

And the outside view:

More photos this weekend on the blog.
Old 21st February 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Are you curious to see how it all turned out? This week's blog posting contains over 40 photos showing the framing of the Annex roof (or most of it). There's a good chance that by next week the roof will be sheathed and wrapped! And we might be knee-deep in drywall in the Music Room. Stay tuned!
Old 21st February 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Unbelieveable!!

Cannot comment enough on the precision of your team.

also, I don't think I have ever thanked you for the detailed blog postings that honestly enrich my everyday life!

I plan on coming to the US in august for a trip
I would be honoured to visit what I think will be/is the best studio in the world.
Old 24th February 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peat ➑️
Unbelieveable!!

Cannot comment enough on the precision of your team.

also, I don't think I have ever thanked you for the detailed blog postings that honestly enrich my everyday life!

I plan on coming to the US in august for a trip
I would be honoured to visit what I think will be/is the best studio in the world.
Thanks! I look forward to hosting your visit. In the mean time, a few more images of progress...

After dropping the smaller (minor) hips, the major hips (the orange-ish LVLs) are now in place:

If the rain is not too much tomorrow, they will begin sheathing the roof in plywood. Otherwise, Thursday looks like a good day, and I expect they'll have it done and wrapped (just the roof sheathing, not the whole project!) by the end of the week.

Next week will be fun: they'll start digging trenches for our perimeter footings.
Old 24th February 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm starting to see how BIG this facility in fact is. In the beginning I was not aware of it, but now with the "roof" up and some inside pictures...Hot damn men. I will visit you asap when its done, thats for sure!
Old 28th February 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMauce ➑️
I'm starting to see how BIG this facility in fact is. In the beginning I was not aware of it, but now with the "roof" up and some inside pictures...Hot damn men. I will visit you asap when its done, thats for sure!
Great!

You are right about the size. Stephen Wright famously observed "it's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it." And indeed, even putting a roof up for our small building takes more than a week.

As usual, and as best I can, I've put up another blog posting detailing my ongoing efforts to completing this studio build.

And, as a special treat for you all, I'm putting up some photos not on the blog for your continued edification/entertainment:

Here's the progress so far:

Here's a view showing what's to be done:

Here's the intersection between half done and not done at all:

An insider's look:

The final relationship of our true rafter tails and the steel we had to cut off:

And finally, some more beauty being added to our Music Room roof--a copper drip edge:

All the best!
Old 1st March 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Hi,

I've been a scaffoldingbuilder and did various stuff in construction myself. Now I see clutter building up around the constructionsite. It might be wise to do some cleaning up.

There is allways someone who damages either a major part or him/herself with somuch rubble around.

I saw a nice little machine there with tracks. If I'd do it myself I'd ask for the keys and do some cleaning myself. Builders allways respond good to that sort of actions...

Just a fan...... sharing his thoughts.

And this;

galaxy

Shows you some of the build of the Galaxy studios in Mol Belgium. A studio wich has more than 100 db sound dampening between controll rooms and live rooms.

Cheers,

Muziekschuur
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hi Mike,

Insane project going on, have been following it for a while!

I have one quick question. I was having a look at the wiring plans that you posted in mid 2009, and noticed that they're different to the plans on the website. I may have missed it or I don't remember, but did you change the design of the annex? At one point you were calling it a garage (and thats what it looks like in the wiring plans) but now it has a post-studio and lounge in it!

Keep up the good work, it's great that you're providing such detailed blogs!

Dan
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
We're kinda stymied on a code issue right now. Don't want to say more about that right now, but we need to get our view accepted so we can keep making progress.

I put some photos up on the blog that show a little bit about what's underneath the big blue tarp. Unfortunately, the longer we're delayed on this code issue, the more damage the weather does to our ducts, so I hope we get it cleaned up right quick.

Just curious about the code issue as I find myself resolving these on a daily (although not with structures of this detail.) What was the issue?

I can only imagine that most if not all the inspectors that have come out to your site have ever seen or even imagined a structure like this. Clearly its not your typical build.

Did you get the "This dosent meet code, beacuse I've never seen it done routine?" and " yeah I know we approved the drawings but I need a letter form the Structural engineer of record." What a pain.

Hope the delay isn't to painful!
Old 2nd March 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan90joe ➑️
Hi Mike,

Insane project going on, have been following it for a while!

I have one quick question. I was having a look at the wiring plans that you posted in mid 2009, and noticed that they're different to the plans on the website. I may have missed it or I don't remember, but did you change the design of the annex? At one point you were calling it a garage (and thats what it looks like in the wiring plans) but now it has a post-studio and lounge in it!

Keep up the good work, it's great that you're providing such detailed blogs!

Dan
We did change the program for the second building from a garage+lounge+storage to a post room+bigger lounge+smaller garage. The Harrison console was simply so awesome that we had to make a second room just for it. heh
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1176n ➑️
Just curious about the code issue as I find myself resolving these on a daily (although not with structures of this detail.) What was the issue?

I can only imagine that most if not all the inspectors that have come out to your site have ever seen or even imagined a structure like this. Clearly its not your typical build.

Did you get the "This dosent meet code, beacuse I've never seen it done routine?" and " yeah I know we approved the drawings but I need a letter form the Structural engineer of record." What a pain.

Hope the delay isn't to painful!
The issue was that we designed the space above the Music Room to be an "attic" which fits a certain way within the NC building codes. And that design is something our builder has seen approved in other NC counties. But in our county the building inspector saw the space only one way, which was as an "elevated structure" and that requires a permanently attached ladder when the height of said structure is 16' or more above grade level. Since I have a 24' ceiling, that meant there would have to be a permanent ladder in the Music Room...not pretty!

We are working on an alternative (and allowed) plan to provide equipment access via the roof (from the outside), but there are challenges there too. I think we'll get it solved, but there was no middle ground to be found between our other experiences and this one interpretation.
Lives for gear

A big day

Today I think I saw more trades than ever before working on the site: carpenters on the roof, masons in the Loggia, insulation folks blowing cellulose, grading people digging trenches for new footings, concrete being poured into said footings, electricians, HVAC, mechanical, hydro, and framing in the Music Room. Wow!

Here are some photos focused on the footing work:

For those curious, there were three pours of 5 yards each, for a total of 15 yards of concrete. And that was less than half of the linear footage of the footings...

Here's one other photo of note: the cellulose insulation blower:

The gray cubes feel like dense, compacted dryer lint, but unlike dryer lint (even compressed dryer lint) they are completely flame and fire ******ing.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
glad to see you are a cricket fan,

and of leg spin at that!!
πŸ“ Reply