Quantcast
Audacity is clipping my vocals - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Audacity is clipping my vocals
Old 3rd July 2020
  #1
Here for the gear
 
Audacity is clipping my vocals

Audacity is clipping all my recordings. Does anyone know why? This is very lame lol The audio waves are no where near getting near the top yet you can tell all the waves been chopped into a plateau. My audio interface gain is at half way
Attached Thumbnails
Audacity is clipping my vocals-audacity-distort.jpg  
Old 3rd July 2020
  #2
Lives for gear
 
loujudson's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanDude ➡️
Audacity is clipping all my recordings. Does anyone know why? This is very lame lol The audio waves are no where near getting near the top yet you can tell all the waves been chopped into a plateau. My audio interface gain is at half way
Are you sure you aren't overloading somewhere else in the chain? Most likely operator error... Yu'll need to descibe the entire chain for a real answer.
Old 3rd July 2020 | Show parent
  #3
Here for the gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson ➡️
Are you sure you aren't overloading somewhere else in the chain? Most likely operator error... Yu'll need to descibe the entire chain for a real answer.

I dont know what you mean haha I just got my AKG C414 XLII going to my SSL2+ interface and then to my computer, with audacity running
Old 3rd July 2020 | Show parent
  #4
Lives for gear
 
loujudson's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanDude ➡️
I dont know what you mean haha I just got my AKG C414 XLII going to my SSL2+ interface and then to my computer, with audacity running
Using any processing in the SSL? Check your gain structure.

I could say you need to BUY a DAW to get good results but that wouldn't be true.
Old 3rd July 2020 | Show parent
  #5
Here for the gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson ➡️
Using any processing in the SSL? Check your gain structure.

I could say you need to BUY a DAW to get good results but that wouldn't be true.
Oh god, idk, the gain was just at half. Dang ill try to take a closer look at it. I just got all the equipment. My old USB AT2020 mic was distorting in audacity as well. It used to never distort so idk what happened
Old 3rd July 2020 | Show parent
  #6
Here for the gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson ➡️
Using any processing in the SSL? Check your gain structure.

I could say you need to BUY a DAW to get good results but that wouldn't be true.
what would be the simplest DAW to get? All I want is to record raw .wav files, don't need any plug-ins, and then drag it into fl studio. Recording with fl studio seems to be a pain. I dont want to have my sound output coming from the audio interface because I cant stand hearing my voice in the headphones while recording and fl studio it seems thats the only way, plus it just seems complicated. Audacity is so easy I love it, it's just clipping sadly.

Btw when I did record the vocals using fl studio there was no clipping
Old 26th August 2020
  #7
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
I notice that you don't have the mic volume at 100% - that will cause clipping with most interfaces. Turn it to 100% and turn the gain down on the interface.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 90 views: 109578
Avatar for dabigfrog
dabigfrog 11th July 2014
replies: 1181 views: 269355
Avatar for AynRandFan
AynRandFan 6 days ago
replies: 1064 views: 278421
Avatar for cfen
cfen 5 days ago
replies: 316 views: 51823
Avatar for easyrider
easyrider 6th February 2020
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump