Quantcast
Is Traction a good newbie DAW? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is Traction a good newbie DAW?
Old 5th May 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Traction T7, Waveform free 10 or Waveform 8?

I'm getting started with DAWs (Mac platform) and have multiple licenses to try out from Traction (free downloads from their website, bundled with various hardware and from music magazines) which is a little confusing. See attached screenshots from Traction T7, Waveform 8 and Waveform 10 free.

Is my T7 a full, but older version while Waveform 10 free being a limited, but newer version and Waveform 8 a full, and newer version than T7? Which one should I would be best to start out with, and possibly upgrade later if there are additional features I might need further down the road?
Actually, how is Tracktion/Waveform compared to the other popular DAWs around for Macs (Logic, Ableton Live, Studio One, Pro Tools, Cubase etc.)?
Attached Thumbnails
Is Traction a good newbie DAW?-tracktion-t7.png   Is Traction a good newbie DAW?-waveform-10-free.png   Is Traction a good newbie DAW?-waveform-8.png  

Last edited by rhythmcomposer; 16th May 2020 at 12:25 PM..
Old 24th May 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmcomposer ➡️
I'm getting started with DAWs (Mac platform) and have multiple licenses to try out from Traction (free downloads from their website, bundled with various hardware and from music magazines) which is a little confusing. See attached screenshots from Traction T7, Waveform 8 and Waveform 10 free.

Is my T7 a full, but older version while Waveform 10 free being a limited, but newer version and Waveform 8 a full, and newer version than T7? Which one should I would be best to start out with, and possibly upgrade later if there are additional features I might need further down the road?
Actually, how is Tracktion/Waveform compared to the other popular DAWs around for Macs (Logic, Ableton Live, Studio One, Pro Tools, Cubase etc.)?
Start with the most recent version of the free one -- I think it's Waveform 11. If you go on the page linked below, it'll tell you the differences between the versions. But from what I can gather, it's pretty full-featured in most respects.

https://www.tracktion.com/products/w...mpare-versions
Old 27th May 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Thanks for your suggestion. I've seen the version comparison list but I don't know what most of those features mean.
So I've now installed Waveform 11 and enabled the trial mode to allow for all its features while checking it out.
Old 8th July 2020
Gear Maniac

I used to use Traktion around 14 years ago when it was still relatively new. The workflow is different but makes sense and is quick to use once you are used to it.
Eventually moved to Logic Pro X but very recently picked up on the pricing deal on Waveform 11.

Most of the well known DAWs use a similar structure and naming convention (DP is possibly the exception) and if you've used one then it doesn't take long to pick up another. Waveform is different. No traditional menu bar, the workflow is in the opposite direction with the controls and plugins on the right hand side, and the input/output takes a bit of figuring out.

Saying that, after spending just two days with Waveform I am finding quite intuitive with some interesting features. Some of them are still a bit new, such as the arranger, and need a bit of refinement but it's quite inspirational to work in a different way.

At the end of the day Waveform is a competent DAW and there's nothing missing that should hold you back from making music. Even better is that it runs as a true cross platform app - Mac, PC and Linux including the Pi OS. This gives great options when configuring a system.

I'm still digging around in the latest version but would highly recommend getting hold of the free version. Grab a handful of good free or low cost plugins and the only upgrade to make would be to the Pro basic version.
Old 8th July 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Thanks for sharing.
Since my previous posting I've tried numerous DAWs, and equally overwhelming I decided to go with Waveform 11 (at a further reduced sale price for the "pro" (basic) version) as I found out I really can't spend weeks and months testing and comparing all the DAWs out there.
It appears to have the features I need, and if for some reason I further down the road find out it's missing stuff which are essential to me it hasn't been that big an investment to start all over again. But I'm starting to get the hang of it and it's starting to get fun to use.
Old 8th July 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thanks for sharing.
Since my previous posting I've tried numerous DAWs, and equally overwhelming I decided to go with Waveform 11 (at a further reduced sale price for the "pro" (basic) version) as I found out I really can't spend weeks and months testing and comparing all the DAWs out there.
Good call. When you're completely new, like I was, all the DAWs are equally overwhelming. You just have to pick one and learn it. In a couple years, you'll have gained enough of an education to know if some other DAW suits you better.

Tracktion/Waveform has come a looong way in the last 5 or 6 years. I still use it for a few odd features even though Ableton Live is my full-time DAW. And I frequently recommend Tracktion to anyone looking for a free, full-featured DAW.
Old 9th July 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
I would actually recommend Cakewalk by BandLab over that. Are you on Windows or macOS.
Old 29th March 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Waveform 7 and Up

I use Waveform 7 OEM when a got my Behringer 32x 3 years or so and know use 11.5 version .. i think its a winner never having big issues except being stuck in demo mode every time i upgrade ..other that. Rock solid as they say !!!
Old 29th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
I used to use Traktion around 14 years ago when it was still relatively new. The workflow is different but makes sense and is quick to use once you are used to it.
Eventually moved to Logic Pro X but very recently picked up on the pricing deal on Waveform 11.

Most of the well known DAWs use a similar structure and naming convention (DP is possibly the exception) and if you've used one then it doesn't take long to pick up another. Waveform is different. No traditional menu bar, the workflow is in the opposite direction with the controls and plugins on the right hand side, and the input/output takes a bit of figuring out.

Saying that, after spending just two days with Waveform I am finding quite intuitive with some interesting features. Some of them are still a bit new, such as the arranger, and need a bit of refinement but it's quite inspirational to work in a different way.

At the end of the day Waveform is a competent DAW and there's nothing missing that should hold you back from making music. Even better is that it runs as a true cross platform app - Mac, PC and Linux including the Pi OS. This gives great options when configuring a system.

I'm still digging around in the latest version but would highly recommend getting hold of the free version. Grab a handful of good free or low cost plugins and the only upgrade to make would be to the Pro basic version.
I know I'm replying to an old post so I took the name out if it.

I find all the other DAWs to be backwards and Tracktion to have been the easiest to make the most sense of. Only once I had a handle in Tracktion could I venture out to something like Studio One, very recently (such a pain at times with it's abstracted instruments and MIDI etc.). Tracktion just finally made sense, unlike the other DAWs. I mean, what's simpler than having input on the left, notes or audio in the middle that gets played by the input, and the output on the right that you can choose to route through one or more plugins? So easy. In other words, don't make assumptions that Tracktion is the less intuitive one.

The biggest shortcoming of Tracktion is also why it's less expensive: barely usable (in comparison) stock plugins. They get the job done well enough, so that's the main thing. Nothing fancy. But that's fine by me, as I have a wealth of 3rd party plugins.

The other shortcoming is that the latency compensation is nearly as robust as Studio One. Then again, Studio One is actually less stable on my computer than Tracktion these days.....
Old 7th April 2021 | Show parent
FNM
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 ➡️
I know I'm replying to an old post so I took the name out if it.

I find all the other DAWs to be backwards and Tracktion to have been the easiest to make the most sense of. Only once I had a handle in Tracktion could I venture out to something like Studio One, very recently (such a pain at times with it's abstracted instruments and MIDI etc.). Tracktion just finally made sense, unlike the other DAWs. I mean, what's simpler than having input on the left, notes or audio in the middle that gets played by the input, and the output on the right that you can choose to route through one or more plugins? So easy. In other words, don't make assumptions that Tracktion is the less intuitive one.

The biggest shortcoming of Tracktion is also why it's less expensive: barely usable (in comparison) stock plugins. They get the job done well enough, so that's the main thing. Nothing fancy. But that's fine by me, as I have a wealth of 3rd party plugins.

The other shortcoming is that the latency compensation is nearly as robust as Studio One. Then again, Studio One is actually less stable on my computer than Tracktion these days.....
Have you tested latency compensation recently? One of the updates fixed a longtime recording buffer compensation issue, which was rightfully a deal-breaker for many people, even though you could compensate for it. I think they also fixed aux-bus PDC, so at this point it MAY be better that Studio One, considering their aux bus PDC drama.

I agree though, it's the best DAW for me as well. It's the only one I have that can do the wildly intuitive and under-rated cursor DRAG. You guys have no idea what you're missing. I hate not being able to do this in Studio One or Reaper (that I know of). Automation is also up there with S1 as best in class. The LACK of features is one of it's biggest advantages. You can set up your keyboard shortcuts in 1-2 hours, plus a little bit of macro research. Reaper might take months. It's so focused and fast and intuitive. Maybe not for everyone, but it inspires me the most for recording and mixing and not learning my DAW.
📝 Reply