The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Samson Mediaone BT5 Broken!
Old 15th March 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Samson Mediaone BT5 Broken!

Greetings to you all,

This is my first post after hours and hours of trawling the web I thought this forum was most likely to provide me with some sort of an answer as I cannot identify a solution.

I purchased a set of second-hand Samson Mediaone BT5 Active Studio Monitors to use for listening only and set them up hooked up to a Behringer UCA202 to my laptop so I could listen to Deezer and the sound was good. I did notice however that the volume knob could only be turned up to say 9 O'Clock before it got very loud.

Suddenly yesterday the right speaker which contains the amp stopped emitting sound. The passive left speaker continues to work normally so I deduce the amp is working ok? Also when I put headphones into the right speaker socket they work fine.

There is also a Aux port on the powered speaker and I checked it my phone and still sound only from one speaker so I ruled out the UCA202 as the problem. They are Bluetooth speakers too and I checked that and also only sound from passive speaker.

The only thing I did prior to right speaker failure was listen on headphones and I note that the headphone socket is much looser than the Aux in socket to put a jack into.

Would the passive speaker still play if the problem was the headphone out or what do you guys think the problem could be?
Old 3rd May 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
The reason I found your post about this is because about 5 minutes ago I noticed the very same problem with mine. I bought mine brand new about 5 months ago and have maybe used them 6 or 7 times. Sigh.....

You're not alone man I to will be waiting patiently for a reply from someone who might know what's up.
Old 29th January 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hello,

Unfortunatly I have exactly the same problem...

¿Have you found the reason and have you fix the problem?

Thanks in advance
Old 29th January 2016 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I was not able to get any answers, I can bring them to an audio repair guy to see if he can fix but it will be expensive.
Old 21st February 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
one more :((

Any news on this ??? unfortunately I have the same issue here :(((

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reamonnt ➡️
Greetings to you all,

This is my first post after hours and hours of trawling the web I thought this forum was most likely to provide me with some sort of an answer as I cannot identify a solution.

I purchased a set of second-hand Samson Mediaone BT5 Active Studio Monitors to use for listening only and set them up hooked up to a Behringer UCA202 to my laptop so I could listen to Deezer and the sound was good. I did notice however that the volume knob could only be turned up to say 9 O'Clock before it got very loud.

Suddenly yesterday the right speaker which contains the amp stopped emitting sound. The passive left speaker continues to work normally so I deduce the amp is working ok? Also when I put headphones into the right speaker socket they work fine.

There is also a Aux port on the powered speaker and I checked it my phone and still sound only from one speaker so I ruled out the UCA202 as the problem. They are Bluetooth speakers too and I checked that and also only sound from passive speaker.

The only thing I did prior to right speaker failure was listen on headphones and I note that the headphone socket is much looser than the Aux in socket to put a jack into.

Would the passive speaker still play if the problem was the headphone out or what do you guys think the problem could be?
Old 21st February 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
any news here ?
Old 16th August 2016
Here for the gear

same here
Old 9th October 2016
Here for the gear

I have a work around if you dont mind losing your headphone ability. open the bt5 amp at the back. I removed the electojics panel and also the wood panel to see which cables were the headphone. Unfortunately the headphone and aux jacks are.glued in. I didnt want to break any wood and dig them out so I followed the cables back to the amp. The two jacks end in a 5 pin connector. You can remove the connector and simple short the two pins at either end of the 5pin connection. Im not sure what the wiringnis but im sure someone can figure out how to disable the headphone jack and use the aux for headphones.
Old 11th April 2017
Here for the gear

Hi, new to this forum but I am experiencing the same issue, I have opened the back and disconnected the aux and headphone socket as mentioned above and I'm still getting no sound, any further help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 24th August 2018
Here for the gear

Wow, shorting the two pins on each side of the connector did the trick! I don't think this process was explained above as well as it could have been for non-electrical people. You can't just disconnect the aux/headphone wire. It's also hard to describe a little bit with just words. Basically, after disconnecting the wire, I used a screwdriver to bend the two outer pins on each end of the connector so that each adjacent set of two touched each other, like two sets of index finger and thumb touching at their fingertips. It took a little finessing to get them to maintain contact. Each set of two corresponded with the left or right speaker, that is, if you only short one pair of pins, only one speaker will work. The middle pin did not need to touch either of its adjacent pins.

I hope that clarifies the process. Samson obviously must be aware of this issue with the number of people who've encountered the same exact problem. I even shipped it to their repair center the first time I had this problem, and the problem eventually came back in less than a year. Boo, Samson. Never buying speakers from them again.
Old 30th March 2020
Here for the gear

Same problem here; there's something conductive in the headphone port. Just give it a clean out (I used an actual aux cable but compressed air would work better) and the channel will spark back to life.

I suspect that you could have both speakers not working with enough junk in there.
Old 15th April 2020
Here for the gear

Found Fix

Hi all, I was searching for an answer to this too as I just couldn’t figure it out. After reading your threads I plugged in a lead into the Aux input and hey presto both speakers started to working via Bluetooth. Hope the same works for you. Wouldn’t have thought of but you mentioned issues with the aux port.?
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmc ➡️
Hi all, I was searching for an answer to this too as I just couldn’t figure it out. After reading your threads I plugged in a lead into the Aux input and hey presto both speakers started to working via Bluetooth. Hope the same works for you. Wouldn’t have thought of but you mentioned issues with the aux port.?
This thread was very helpful, I plugged and unplugged a cable a few times into the aux and headphone jack on the Samson. I have stereo again, for now at least..... if it happens again, I have a good lead (pun intended).
📝 Reply