Quantcast
focusrite scarlet 2i2 to computer speakers - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
focusrite scarlet 2i2 to computer speakers
Old 8th October 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
focusrite scarlet 2i2 to computer speakers

hi. Well, this is my first post here in the forum. i have actually been here many times (it came up on google searches), but i just now took the time to register. I wish i had done it earlier. i see there is lots of good stuff here!

Well, as you will see from my question, i am quite a noob in this. I come from a classical music background, and i never had before the need to know what a audio interface does, what kind of microfones are there, what a DAW is,...
But i am now trying to get into it, slowly, but steadily.

As with maybe most people, i imagine, i don't really have the money to buy all the best equipment out there. So i will try to buy things little by little. I started with the audio interface. i just got yesterday my Focusrite Scarlet 2i2. It looks beautiful! I hope it will sound equally nice!

Enough yadayada, here's my question:
I have now the Scarlet 2i2, but i still don't have any studio monitors (i have some oldish Creative FPS1500 computer speakers).
What would be the best way for me to connect my Scarlet 2i2?

I see one easy possibility:
i could just plug the headphones output to my speakers.
Would this be ok?

On the back of the Scarlet 2i2, there are two outputs. I think they are two TRS jacks, which are supposed to connect to the studio monitors.
Is there a way i can connect the Scarlet 2i2 to my computer speakers using these outputs?

my speakers have two inputs: a front and a rear input. What are these for?
I have always just used the front input...

Thanks for your help!
Let's see if i can get this working to start making some music!
=)
Old 8th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boguz ➡️
...n the back of the Scarlet 2i2, there are two outputs. I think they are two TRS jacks, which are supposed to connect to the studio monitors.
Is there a way i can connect the Scarlet 2i2 to my computer speakers using these outputs?...
Welcome to Gearslutz.

It's easy to connect the Scarlett 2i2 to your Creative FPS1500 system. You have two options:

1. (preferred) Use the Scarlett 2i2 main outputs on the back panel labeled "Line Outputs (1) Left and (2) Right". Those are balanced TRS outputs, but since you are going into an unbalanced stereo input the correct connection is via a dual 1/4-inch TS to 3.5 mm stereo mini TRS cable. This is sometimes called an "Insert", "Splitter" or "Breakout" cable. Plug into the FPS1500 jack labeled; "Audio Inputs FRONT"

2. You can also use a 1/4-inch TRS to 3.5 mm TRS cable to connect the headphone output to the Creative FPS1500 system, but that adds the headphone amp to the signal path. Generally, it's better to use the main (separate) line-level outputs and simple connect them using the splitter cable (Option -1)

That keeps the headphone jack available for headphone use if you want to shut off the speakers.

If you get the single (non-splitter) 1/4-inch TRS to stereo 3.5 mm cable, it should only be used with the Scarlett 2i2 headphone jack. DO NOT, under any condition, connect it to either of the 1/4-inch, balanced TRS outputs on the back panel of the 2i2. Those are both mono outputs and should only be connected to a stereo input with the proper "splitter" cable. (As in option 1.)

If, in the future, you are able to acquire some better studio monitors, they will probably connect using separate left and right 1/4-inch TRS to TRS, or 1/4-inch TRS to XLR balanced cables. The inputs will be separate, and not on a single 3.5 mm stereo jack.

FYI: the second 3.5 mm input on you FPS1500 is used if you have a surround sound signal source providing Left Rear and Right Rear signals (some video players supply those signals). The LR and RR inputs go the the second 3.5mm jack. For "normal" 2-channel stereo, there should be no connection to the second 3.5 mm jack.

Attached Thumbnails
focusrite scarlet 2i2 to computer speakers-fps1500-stereo-input.jpg  
Old 9th October 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
hey, thanks! That was a really helpful answer!!! =)
I'll go and see if they have some in the electronics shop here in town, otherwise will order it from Amazon!

Thanks!
=)
Old 9th October 2014
Lives for gear

Just be sure you get a "splitter cable" that connects two mono lines to the single 3.5 mm plug. There are similar looking cables that are "Y" cables with two parallel 1/4-inch TRS plugs. Those won't work with your speakers.

Radio Shack sells a dual RCA to 3.5 mm "splitter" cable, but not a dual 1/4-inch TS plug to 3.5 mm cable. Those can be used with a pair of RCA to 1/4-inch adapters, but that's a somewhat "messy" solution. It's a good idea to avoid using extra adapters whenever possible.

If you want a "higher-end", all metal, gold plated version, Infinite Cables sells a quite nice one. However, it won't sound any better than the inexpensive Hosa brand cable.
📝 Reply