Scarlet 18i8 Phantom power question - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Scarlet 18i8 Phantom power question
Old 25th July 2014
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Scarlet 18i8 Phantom power question

SHORT
Does the Scarlet 18i8 send phantom power over the TRS part of the combo jack or just XLR? Is it safe to engage phantom power with a synth plugged in with TRS cable?

LONG
This interface gives phantom power in pairs, so 1/2. 3/4

On input 4 i have my mic that requires Phantom power connected with XLR.

Input 3 is currently unused and the only input i have left on the interface so i want to use it! but is it safe to use the TRS part of the combo jack to connect a synth? or will it get fried by phantom power. Or is it as i suspect only the XLR part of the combo jack that sends phantom power?
Old 25th July 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
SHORT: NO (it does not send PP to the TRS jack)....YES (it's safe to engage PP with a synth, or any other line-level TRS source connected).

LONG: The 18i8, like all Focusrite Scarlett interfaces, has no phantom power on the TRS section of the "combo" input jacks. The TRS section of the "combo" will not ever have phantom power present unless one of the input coupling caps fails. Never connect a line-level source to the XLR input section of the "combo" jack.

LONG WITH EXTRA FREE CONTENT: The TRS input does send the signal through the mic pre after it is attenuated by 19 dB. As long as you connect your synth to the TRS jack with a balanced TRS cable if it has a balanced mono output, or a TS/TS cable if it's unbalanced mono (like most synths) it will work and there is no danger of damaging the synth with phantom power. You should not need to use the MixControl 10 dB pad on the line input with most synths.

If your synth has a 1/4-inch TRS stereo output, you will need to use (2) of the 18i8 inputs and should connect using a 1/4-inch TRS to dual-mono "splitter", "insert" or "breakout' cable. Do not use a plain TRS/TRS cable if the synth has stereo on one TRS output jack. The 18i8 will not accept a stereo signal on one TRS input jack.
Old 25th July 2014
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Thank you sir!
๐Ÿ“ Reply