How to wire all this hardware up? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to wire all this hardware up?
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
How to wire all this hardware up?

Hi all,

This is my first time here! I have been using sample libraries for a long time but I am new to analog outboard gear, which is what I want to invest money in at the moment. I came up with 6 external analog pieces I want to buy (compressor, reverb unit, harmonic exciter, transient unit etc.). Im interested in the RME ufx interface too. Now, how do you connect all these and make them usable inside the daw? And how do you allocate this gear to individual channels?

Im an absolute beginner with this so literally ANY indication on how to get started and up and running with outboard gear is appreciated. Many thanks.
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
What DAW are you using? Usualy you connect every bit of hardware to separate input, and output in your interface, or use a patchbay to connect them. Then you use kind of physical inserts, and/or physical sends in your DAW and use them like plug-ins (or should I say plug-ins are used like outboard gear).
Old 15th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Hi I use Cubase 5 , going to 7.5 soon.
The number of inserts in most audio interfaces is limited to about 8 ins and outs as I could see. So if you have more gear you need a patch bay? The best thing for me would be to use hardware as plug ins, but not entirely sure how to do that yet as I havent tried.
Old 16th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Can someone be a little bit more specific on how to set up several pieces of gear? Say you have 8 ins and 8 outs in your audio converter, do you just insert the hardware gear in there or? Thanks!!
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You need a LINE output and a LINE input for each piece or hardware you want to send/return signal too.
Cabling used depends on if the hardware has balanced or unbalanced connections.
If you want Stereo send/returns then of course you need twice as many Line ins/outs.

You either use an I/O plugin that sends signal out and back into the same channel pre fader like a plugin works,
Or you select the channel output to send the channel post fader to the hardware an return it to a new channel and re-record on another track(s)
Old 17th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
There's actually an option in Cubase 5 dedicated for using outboard gear as VST plugins, here's a little article about it:

Steinberg Cubase 5 : Use External Hardware As A VST Plug-in
πŸ“ Reply