Quantcast
Hello. AKG Perception 820 + M-audio C400 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hello. AKG Perception 820 + M-audio C400
Old 13th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Unhappy Hello. AKG Perception 820 + M-audio C400

Hello I have AKG Perception 820 mic and M-audio Fast track C400 as a sound card. The sound is very "tough" and sounds bad. I do not have outboard interfaces (EQs, Preamps, etc.)... I have a question. Is this problem caused of M-audio c400 or do I have the worst mic :D ? I have a lot of plugins. Waves complete bundle, also Fabfilter bundle, melodyne, auto-tune and as you understand I have bunch of EQs and Compressors (Waves...)... It doesn't help and it didn't improve overal sound quality. Should I buy a good preamp first or change my audio interface?
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I'd be willing to bet the issue is not your hardware or your software... i'd be willing to bet the issue is the room you are recording in.

I read a post a while ago that nailed it and has stuck with me... it's to the effect of "when you record vocals, you're not recording a voice... you're recording the room with a voice in it".

Look to improving the sound of the room/space that you are recording in. If you put use a U87 + Neve 1073 and record in a small closet padded with bedfoam, it's going to fantastically capture the details of a "piece of ****".
Old 14th March 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenix ➑️
I'd be willing to bet the issue is not your hardware or your software... i'd be willing to bet the issue is the room you are recording in.

I read a post a while ago that nailed it and has stuck with me... it's to the effect of "when you record vocals, you're not recording a voice... you're recording the room with a voice in it".

Look to improving the sound of the room/space that you are recording in. If you put use a U87 + Neve 1073 and record in a small closet padded with bedfoam, it's going to fantastically capture the details of a "piece of ****".
Thank you man for your reply. I'm going to buy either Neve 1073 or Apollo 16 High-Resolution Interface. I know that first one is PreAmp and the second is an interface, but I have a question. Which of these gear will give me the best result, I cannot afford them both at this time. Is it better to have M-audio C400 (as a converter)+Neve 1073 (Preamp)+AKG Perception 820 (mic), or should I buy Apollo interface and plug the mic directly to it? Thanks
Old 14th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
anyone ))
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
ah man, you're missing my point.

What I'm saying is your AKG + Fast TRack should not be yielding a bad sound. Maybe not amazing / $100K studio sound... but not bad to the point where you're like "man, this sucks". That is probably not a flaw of the equipment, it's probably a flaw of the room. So... if you put better equipment in that same room... it's still gonna sound bad.. it's still gonna suck.

Fix your room first. Have you done research on acoustic treatment?
Old 14th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I'm going to buy Hello. AKG Perception 820 + M-audio C40012 Pack of 2" x 12" x 12" Charcoal Acoustic Studio Foam Wedge Tiles | eBay this. I hope it will improve overal sound quality.
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Also please do some research on the forum to learn how to apply the wedges. It's more to it than just filling your room with wedges.. placement, angle, and other things are important.

I actually have to do the same for my room I just moved to, so I'm in the same boat as you. I have a good amount of research to do on the subject.
Old 15th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thank you man for your attention and reply on my questions in this thread. I appreciate it.
πŸ“ Reply