Quantcast
PCIe vs Thunderbolt Latency - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PCIe vs Thunderbolt Latency
Old 13th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
PCIe vs Thunderbolt Latency

I have been on here asking quite a few questions because I have been getting ready to start my own home studio rather than using my dads. In doing so I want to get the best system I can for my money and my search has brought me here and I can't seem to find the info I need. I want to know the difference between PCIe and thunderbolt in terms of latency. I would like my system to be extremely low latency as I will be running vocals through PT live for vocal FX. I am building a PC for this and can't seem to decide between getting a MOTU 2408mk3 with its PCIe card or the MOTU 828x. The benefit of the 828x is it also has MIDI which I use and would be handy to get in one unit, but latency is the most important issue for me aside from sound quality. If need be I can get a separate MIDI interface.
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
It depends on the interface itself. Thunderbolt basically is PCIe with a different connection.

I expect the 828x might be better, simply because it is newer. This is just a guess.

Also, I don't think you'll find a computer with both thunderbolt and PCIe slots.

I know that some RME interfaces have very low latency.

matt
Old 13th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Ok I see that makes sense. I'll look into RME some and see. It might be more worth my money to go with thunderbolt, but I'll look deeper.
Old 14th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Ok, looking around at interfaces on the internet I have a question. I've seen PCIe cards that have various inputs (firewire, usb3, ect). Do you need a specific interface that corresponds with that specific PCIe card to get the advantages in latency or could you use a firewire interface ( I have a MOTU 896HD ) and benefit from lower latency with replacing a PCIe card in your computer?
Old 14th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryderrison ➑️
Ok, looking around at interfaces on the internet I have a question. I've seen PCIe cards that have various inputs (firewire, usb3, ect). Do you need a specific interface that corresponds with that specific PCIe card to get the advantages in latency or could you use a firewire interface ( I have a MOTU 896HD ) and benefit from lower latency with replacing a PCIe card in your computer?
I dont follow

But all (for example) firewire ports should have similar behaviour, provided they use supported chipsets. (I could be wrong)

If you get a FireWire interface, and if you need a PCIe card to get a FireWire port, check with the interface manufacturer for what card they recommend.

Generally PCIe or thunderbolt interfaces will have lower latency than FireWire or USB.

M
Old 20th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I don't understand the PC/MAC debate anymore

Hello all,
my first reply to this great site/forum and I wonder of any of you think this way too.
I have been doing my diligent searching on latency, I/O,and associated gear/software etc. First off let me state I have been on Windows since Dos, I know, really still is, kinda / sorta So I'm a Windows user, mkay. I used Sonar with a Echo pci card & break out box, not bad.I kinda fell out of the scene due to personal reasons and also frustration in the Daw World. But now I'm building up a data base on the newest gear/software to get back into it and find the Mac/Win compatability/"best" issue, rediculas and frustrating.
I want to go with Magix Samplitude Pro X,Windows, and a UA Apollo 16 with Thunderbolt for my studio work and port via Lan on live gig's via PC/laptop and other expensive gear(Madi/Dante). However, UA doesn't support thunderbolt on Windows, huh? Very frustrating as the motherboard Im looking at is the ASRock Z87 Extreme4/TB4 with onboard Thunderbolt that uses the same, if not better Intel chip(Intel DSL4510L) that the Mac's(DSL4510) use. So, I guess we're kinda at the same old valley where the software needs to catch up to the hardware again, as usual, I know. I also realize die hard Mac users, and Windows users like me are, well, faithful. But do we really need this 'church' anymore? I've spent many hours learning optimizing Windows and hardware and frankly dont want to spend time re-learning and buying a Mac. Im sure it's visa-versa too. Lol, in fact I never heard of a Mac user switching to Windows, just saying
Well, I digress. My dream studio is probably going to have to wait a bit longer. I wonder of audio over LAN/IP will ever hit the "home" studio mid-price range world without this darn platform battle.
πŸ“ Reply