Quantcast
Is it a sampler I seek? which one? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is it a sampler I seek? which one?
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Is it a sampler I seek? which one?

So I think I might be in the market for a sampler.

I have a bunch of hardware, that I either hand play or sequence through MIDI. I don't want to carry all of it, or risk damage and theft at shows. I also am not going to get up on stage with an ipod and a solitary keyboard either. That would feel like cheating.

What I am wanting to do is have a piece of hardware I can record long clips onto, in time with MIDI, then play them back, in time with MIDI so that I can play the audio in time with my other MIDI hardware. I'd prefer when I do record that I be able to command the device to record through MIDI. I need it to be able to record long clips as well. I really want to be able to have a whole song or at least a verse in a single clip or sample. I'd like to be able to play a minimum of 4 or 5 clips at once, but would obviously prefer more. A muting function would be nice that would allow me to cut the sound while the clip continues playing. Effects are good, but that's not my biggest concern. MIDI over USB is a plus as well.

Thanks in advance for helping.
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
edit: It would have to be able to store clips for several songs which would comprise a set. That means I would have to be able to either store hours upon hours.

My budget is around $300-$400
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Have you considered a self-contained mulit-track recorder like this VS-880: Digital Studio Workstation | Roland U.S. I see them on the used market quite cheap and they could fulfill your desire for multiple backing tracks on one device. My experience with hardware samplers is mostly from the 90's but we avoided clips/loops of longer than 5 seconds because of drift and relied on portable midi sequencers, workstations etc when doing live midi stuff.
Old 13th March 2014

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I really wish there was some simple hardware device that incorporated midi sequencer data with audio data. It should be simple, but there just isn't anything out there. Roland have stuff that can play midi OR audio, but not synced together. You have the Akai MPC stuff, but the memory for audio samples is pathetic. You have loopers that have midi capability, which might be worth checking out. But I shudder to think of using these live with some other audio device - the potential for screw up seem major. A DAW running on a laptop or tablet is probably your best bet, sadly - because I hate depending on a computer for live. A Mac is pretty stable though - I would never use a Windows machine, in case it decided it wanted to update **** or thow a tanty half way through a gig. If you are a total geek you could probably make one work, for a day at least.

I guess this is why a lot of major shows just use multiple audio channels for live. But I really want to use midi to switch my hardware and lights and everything. It is possible to cobble together systems, but it would be really nice if somebody just but together a decent midi sequencer with a decent audio playback device ... surely it is possible.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Mv8800.

or.....heh
Attached Thumbnails
Is it a sampler I seek? which one?-mpcrings2.jpg  

Last edited by skillz335; 13th March 2014 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: heh
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
clips, multiple tracks, midi, muting....basically sounds like you just described Ableton Live.
Old 14th March 2014

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I would probably go for a Mac Mini with solid state drives and whatever DAW you are comfortable with. If you can forgo midi, I think the Roland SPD-SX is awesome. You could sync one with an MPC if you need midi - but that is getting to a point where the evils of fooling with hardware are probably worse than the evils of fooling with computers.
πŸ“ Reply