Quantcast
New to in ear monitors: help!! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New to in ear monitors: help!!
Old 13th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
New to in ear monitors: help!!

Hi folks, new to the board and have a bit of an issue i could really use some experienced input on.

My drummer has been on the warpath lately to get in ear monitors, so we took the plunge...ended up buying a cheap set to start. Takstar WPM-100 to be exact. He's in the process of setting them up right now, and it's not going well.

My question isn't exactly clear, but I need some input on exactly what we need and how to set it up to get what we want. The specifics are:

-5 piece band: drums, 2 guitars, bass, vox, + 2 sets of backup vox

-PA is an 8 channel yamaha pushing 2 12" (maybe 15", idk everything exact) club yamahas. poweramp and a pair of subs as well, not sure if that comes into play. using a single wedge monitor at the moment

-currently, only vox are being pushed through the mains, drums are mic'd through the wedge.

-we want the monitors for both practice and gigging. practice space is rather small and the drums overpower the hell of out things, so we have to crank everything up so everyone can hear. we're hoping to be able to use the monitors to clarify things and also save on hearing. shows are going to be in small bars.

the sound isn't exactly my thing, so i apologize if i'm not giving enough info or not asking the right questions. just need some help trying to figure this mess out
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you want 5 members with 5 independent monitor mixes for in ears, you will need a mixer with at least 5 pre fader aux sends for 5 mono monitor mixes.
A headphone amp with a mono feature, (so you can hear in both sides with a mono aux feed) works fine for a performer who is seated and does not need to be wireless.
Get a basic wireless IEM system and upgrade the earbuds to dual driver earbuds if needed. The basic earbuds with budget systems may be fine for a vocalist but not so amazing for a bassist or drummer.
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Behringer makes a system called the Power Play P16. You have a rack mount unit which has 16 inputs. Each band member who wants to use the in-ears will have their own box which plugs into the rack mount unit using cat 5.

Each person's own unit is completely independent in terms of mix, eq and so forth. I've been using this system since it first came out and it is fantastic. I've also used a more expensive version by Aviom, and the Behringer is just as good and way cheaper. We used to lug around a gigantic board and route everything through that, the Behringer system is about the same price and alot easier to tour with. It's reliable and your mix is always consistent, since you're not using manual pots on a board which can shift accidentally.

Check it out here:

Behringer: POWERPLAY 16 P16-I

and here are the personal monitor units:

Behringer: POWERPLAY 16 P16-M
📝 Reply