high pass filtering on everything question - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
high pass filtering on everything question
Old 11th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
high pass filtering on everything question

Hey guys.

I was having some problems with mud in my mixes, and I read up and found that putting a high pass filter on all elements thats not kick and bass is a really good solution.

What I did, was I took the fabfilter Volcano plug in and put it on everything (guitars, all drums except kick, and vocals). I used the Low Cut preset and just adjusted it so that it was mainly cutting 130 and under.

Basically I just wanted to ask if there are standards for every aspect? Should I go lower or high than 130 on certain things. What is the general consensus?
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
There is no standard, since every signal is different and needs to be treated differently.

If it sounds good (or better) with that setting you use, its fine.

My go to with EQs is: As less as possible, but as much as needed.

cheers
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Sometimes you want low frequency to complement eachother or working together, so sometimes cutting eveything under 130 wont work as well as say for example just caving out some 50hz and 80hz. Its all dependent on the mix.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
If you have a well thought out arrangement and well recorded sounds, the high pass filters will be unnecessary. It's because naturally a mid-range instrument doesn't extend into the bass range. The need for excessive carving usually comes from forcing everything to sound equally big, even during the arranging/recording phase. This problem occurs less often when musicians work out songs together, in a live setting.

Defaulting to the high pass method often results in an overall thinner and more artificial sound than trying to get the sounds right before the mixing stage.

If you really need to remove some low end, try using low shelving filters first, so you have better control over the process.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…