Connecting to DAW from second computer - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Connecting to DAW from second computer
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Connecting to DAW from second computer

Hi

Is there an easy way to do the following. I have a number of soft synths in my setup, and I'm running out of power to keep them all on my main imac. Is there a way to put some soft synths on to my laptop and then record to my DAW either with Midi or Audio. I already have my keyboard connected though midi to imac using a Focusrite sapphire pro 40, so I'm guessing that I might have to record with audio, taking a line out from keyboard into laptop and then an output from laptop to DAW? or maybe use a midi through from keyboard?

Apologies if I haven't made my self clear, I'm basically just lo0king to make use of my laptop as its not being used at present, and gain a couple of more soft synths.

Thanks
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
One very simple and complete solution is Vienna Ensemble Pro. I use it with my slave computers to control all sample libraries I have. It's basically MIDI and audio over LAN.
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
...what about stems?

ask yourself if you really need all these soft instruments ready to tweak at all times...

what is ready is ready and done....freeze it....bounce it...make it an audiotrack and stay on one computer....

if you have a serious safe structure.....that step is done?.....ok save as song xy 0.2....did that bass synth?...works?.....ok save as song xy 0.3......so you can step back easily to every point of your production flow, if you need to change something....
that's the right way to do it, anyway...

two computers as one, maybe even as real nodes, is always a pro hussel....

vienna ensemble is made for this.....but it's a complete different set up.....

or two interfaces and a simple midi clock that slaves the second maschine.....only works with software intruments....audio tracks in slave mode is a pain in the ass....
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Hi, Do I need to connect the slave and host via ethernet cable for this to work?
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Head

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Hi rifkijones,

Yes, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 requires the use of a Gigabit Switch or Router that has Gigabit speed. Both computers connect to this via ethernet cables in order to communicate and for the main machine to send and receive Audio/Midi information from your slave computer.

A Vienna Key or eLicenser Key is required on the slave computer in order to use Vienna Ensemble Pro. You can request a demo license of the product as well on the Vienna site (VIENNA SYMPHONIC LIBRARY).

Feel free to contact us at ILIO (VSL's Distributor for North and South America) if you have any questions. Our email is [email protected] or you can email VSL directly for support at [email protected].

Thanks!
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
copperlan.
:-)
http://www.copperlan.org/
oh, and it's free and beats apples network session with a sledgehammer !
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You can do this with a MIDI interface on each machine. Take the output of
the first computer's interface and plug it into the input of the second computer's
interface. Set up the first computer's DAW to send MIDI out to the second
machine which receives MIDI. You can do this with stand alone instruments
on the second machine, or run a 2nd DAW and use MIDI sync, or MIDI
timecode to run both DAWs in sync. Audio from the second machine is then
patched into the first macine's audio ins and you're good to go. You might
have to slide the track if there are any latency problems.
πŸ“ Reply