Quantcast
Question regarding Interning and 'Career' Paths - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Question regarding Interning and 'Career' Paths
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Question regarding Interning and 'Career' Paths

Forgive me if all this im about to type is irrelevant, im just a noob asking questions haha.

So after getting some feedback on here I decided it would be best to get interning ASAP rather than waiting until my schooling started where they have internship placements (which I originally planned on doing.) Only potential issue though is im not exactly sure which path I am going to take after school, whether it be music, film or game. Music is what I would prefer, but with the way the music industry is going (and also correct me if I am wrong) film seems more..stable?

So ill try putting this question into the best wording that I can- When you begin interning at a record studio for example, are you committing to progressing your career in THAT studio alone? Because like I said I don't know where I am going to end up after school for sure whether it be music or film. So say for example I intern at a record Studio for a year then decide closer to schooling being done that I want to go in the direction of audio for film, would I need to restart interning at a new film studio and start from scratch with my internship? Because im assuming individual studios don't really give a **** about how much coffee you had to make for the other studios, they just want you to pay your dues in THEIR studio? Would my time at the record studio be 'useless'(for lack of a better word) and It would be as if I was just starting fresh at the film studio, assuming they only bring me on as an intern.
And part B of that question is generally the same, but has to do with the same industry..what if I intern at Music Studio A for 7 months, decide its not the studio I want to be at, and decide to go over to Music Studio B, would I need to completely restart at B assuming they don't care what I did at A because it was only interning.

Reason im asking is because I want to get into a studio ASAP but after over thinking it tonight like I always do, the above question has been rolling around my head. So my original plan of just getting in anywhere as fast as I can to intern might be sidetracked if the above question ends up being the way it actually is.

Sorry if this made no sense, I was trying to word it as I went haha

Edit: also the above might not even be how interning works, this entire assumption is just based off my assumptions of how it might be haha
Old 10th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
People will ALWAYS be making music. Where?, who knows. Probably in their bedrooms...

You're not limited to only working in a particular studio. You should start freelancing around town, even offering to work for free or beer, and the better you get at it, start charging more.

If you go from one studio to another, you won't necessarily have to start over, but there are no guarantees. Every place is different. Some interns just sit and answer phones, or clean, or some just assist in the studio or run errands. I interned for 2 months and decided to switch studios and went straight to engineering at the second studio.

But, if you spend time interning at studio A, but switch to B before ever "moving up" at A, studio B will most likely ask what you did at studio A and place you accordingly. My advice is to pick a studio you can tolerate, and stay there as much as you can. Most interns hop studios or quit... the ones who stick around get the jobs. Arrive early, stay late, don't gossip, don't annoy them, and don't act like you don't like it.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…