Quantcast
which DAW doesnt really make a difference does it? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
which DAW doesnt really make a difference does it?
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
which DAW doesnt really make a difference does it?

Ive seen a lot of opinions on this topic, and I'm pretty much at the conclusion to just pick whichever one you start with and learn to use that DAW. But I figured I would make one last open thread about it to get mixed opinions

Id like to keep this focus on if you were making music along the lines of Trance, House, Electro trance and so on, you guys get the idea.

My schooling teaches Ableton live, Reason and pro tools. Im assuming these 3 would be enough to use forever and I should just get used to them? I hear a lot about Logic and a lot of big trance producers say they actually prefer Logic over Ableton. Any insight as to why Logic is preferred, and should I consider learning Logic on top of what I know?
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
They are all pretty similar, but its learning the ins and outs, the keyboard shortcuts, the subtleties or each, that can take a while. I'd recommend Protools if your school teaches it. The majority of real studios will be using protools. Reason is for electronic music production and I havnt used Ableton live but Im pretty sure its based more towards using a DAW in a live performance situation.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
each daw has its own work flow, you can create any type of music in any DAW. some DAWs are just more streamlined for specific tasks like mixing or creating. for example Pro Tools sets you up better to mix. where as Logic sets you up better to create. Though both Daws are capable of the same things, people will prefer one work flow over another.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Pro tools - does everything well but does not excel at anything (can be buggy ime)

Logic - great for recording/producing/writing modern music

Digital Performer - traditional composition, film work, almost can do too much (big learning curve, even renaming a track requires option click), but can do anything.

Live - electronic sample based music.

Cubase - (not a lot of personal experience, but some), falls into the dp category, does everything but big learning curve.

I would stick with these as they are the most common..... reaper also seems popular but I couldn't get along with it.

Good luck!!!
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I had a fairly old version of Ableton, maybe it's changed a bit but Logic has way more software synths, so that's possibly why it's preferred?
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Nowadays, every DAW is doing perfectly. Disputes regarding DAWS are completely off the times. If i were you i would first think what i want my career to look like..

For instance, do you want to be a freelancer exclusively? Then you can use whatever you want. Cubase, Reaper, Pro Tools. You are the boss and you use what you prefer.

If you want to work inhouse in a company or some studio then you HAVE to learn how to use Pro Tools. It is an industry standard, a very good software (although it is buggy) and all that will not change any soon. You can't imagine how many job vacancies open that DEMAND that you know ProTools, 90%. I know it is stupid but.... you have to learn how to use it.

My suggestion? Choose whatever if you plan to work on your own or learn PT if you want to work for a company.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I get a big kick out of how often someone asks me if I use Pro Tools in my studio. It is almost generic for DAW software. My normal answer is "No, and I don't ride a Harley either"..

It's the end result that counts and these guys are right on. Use whatever works unless you are going to work in a commercial studio that uses Pro Tools.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A couple good points above, whichever daw you choose, you should at least learn the basics of pro tools (which is pretty easy).
Old 10th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
As much as i tried to like cubase it just didnt happen for me.
Old 10th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by benetik ➑️
Nowadays, every DAW is doing perfectly. Disputes regarding DAWS are completely off the times.
I'd have to disagree with that, having owned and used Ableton, Pro Tools, Logic and Reason

Pro Tools is great for editing and recording but is sorely lacking in software synths

After upgrading my OS, I ditched Ableton and Reason and only had Pro Tools left. I found myself pretty damn screwed in terms of looking for good software instruments to do electronic music. I ended up buying the whole Spectrasonics package to fill in the blanks, it was either that or spring for yet another DAW

Now that I own and use Logic mostly, its software instrument options are miles ahead of pro tools, it has way more software synths for doing electronic stuff and if I didn't have Spectrasonics I wouldn't feel the need to run out and buy something to fill in the blanks

The Logic synths don't sound as good as Native Instruments stuff which I also have and Spectrasonics stuff but they're certainly workable and usable.

I haven't used Pro Tools since version 7 but at least in version 7, the sound quality of their software synths was very poor and very cheesy, no matter how much you tweaked them

It's very important to look into what software instruments come with any DAW and if they'll be enough to do electronic music, all DAWs are definitely not equal in that regard
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
its sounding like eventually I am going to try logic. So next question, assuming I know pro tools, reason and ableton from school. what would the learning curve be to starting fresh with logic and also having an in depth knowledge of the other daws compared to if I just started fresh with logic and not knowing pro tools, ableton, etc..
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The recording portion and mixing section of logic is fairly similar to Pro Tools, i.e. input/output assigning, buses, auxes. Automation is a tiny bit different but not too difficult. The big learning curve for me was the midi aspect of it, it can do a lot more than any of the others you mentioned. But at the same time you can keep things fairly simple in Logic if you want... but it's also capable of going pretty deep if you want that too. Have a look at some vids on the piano roll editor and the sample editor in Logic, these are the main 2 windows you'll use for programming and doing audio. The main window in Logic is the arrange window, their equivalent to Pro Tools edit window.

The other thing that's a little bit tricky in Logic for a first time user is setting up multi-timbral instruments. Well, not tricky but not especially intuitive but once you get the hang of that, it's pretty straightforward

One of the things I love about Logic is you can import groove templates and give your drums the feel of say, the infamous Akai MPC, maybe Pro Tools does that now too? And midi editing is excellent, there are several ways to edit midi. Once you learn the shortcut keys you can really move fast in Logic
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Demo them all and use whichever one suits your workflow the best.
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I think you are right that it doesn't really matter much. I use Reaper and I love it. I'm sure ProTools or Cubase may have some additional features, but as long as I'm not hitting any limitations with Reaper, I figure why bother spending the money and time learning how to use another DAW?

I think the quality of your recordings depends more on how well you can use your DAW than which DAW you use.
πŸ“ Reply