Quantcast
Not getting stereo sound through monitors via interface - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Not getting stereo sound through monitors via interface
Old 8th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Not getting stereo sound through monitors via interface

I bought a used Presonus audiobox USB and wired some old Event electronics tuned reference 6's to it and i do not think i am getting stereo sound out of it. I wired it as follows: computer rear line out> 3.5mm TRS to 1/4" TRS> USB interface mic/instrument input> interface main outs> 2x 1/4"TRS to 1/4" TRS> monitor speakers.

Realtek audio has a stereo configuration option where it will play a sound on the left and then the right, but when it plays the left sound it plays on both monitors and the right speaker sound does not play at all. If i turn the gain all the way up i can hear a faint sound when it switches to the right speaker.

I have tried switches the main outs between the monitors and i am getting the same thing.
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

It's not totally clear from your post what you actually have connected, and why.

Most computers with a 3.5 mm output jack don't have a "line out". The typical 3.5 mm jack is usually a stereo headphone out that can be used to drive an unbalanced, consumer audio input at a level somewhere around -15 dBV to as much as 0 dBV depending on the computer and how its output level control is set.

The usual computer 3.5 mm output jack is a stereo output with a left and a right unbalanced signal (essentially (2) mono audio signals). Connecting the 3.5 mm stereo output to a 1/4 inch TRS plug will place a left channel signal on the plug TIP and the right channel signal on the plug RING. Connected through a TRS plug (to the Audiobox "Inst" input) the right channel of your computer output is being shorted to ground and never reaches the Audiobox.

The Presonus Audiobox has no "stereo" input. It has (2) mono inputs, which are unbalanced "Instrument" inputs only. They are not TRS inputs. They are not balanced "line" inputs. They are unbalanced TS inputs and will only respond to a signal on the TRS plug TIP. They should not be used with TRS plugs at all and are intended for TS plugs only. Even if the Audiobox had a balanced TRS input, it still would not work because the inputs are still mono, and any audio that was common to both channels (centered stereo information) would be canceled out by the balanced input.

To connect a typical computer 3.5 mm stereo output to the Presonus Audiobox, you need a 3.5 mm to DUAL TS "breakout/splitter" cable. It must connect to both of the Presonus "combo" input jacks. Plug the white cable into combo input channel No. 1, and the Red cable into combo "Inst" input No. 2. The Presonus must be set for "Inst" input mode.

You will then have the left stereo signal on Ch. 1 and the Right stereo signal on Ch. 2 of your DAW. For most use, the DAW should be set for a single, stereo track (route both inputs to the single stereo track). It generally is easier to edit that way rather than using (2) mono tracks.

The Presonus Audiobox "Inst" inputs are fairly sensitive (more sensitive than a typical interface balanced line input). That means you should keep the computer output at a "moderate" level. Possibly start with the computer internal volume at 1/3red to 1/2 of maximum.

The results you are getting (left channel only on both outputs when "left" is selected, no right at all) is exactly what one would expect if you connect a stereo output (left on TIP ) to a mono input. Get rid of the 3.5 mm to TRS cable or adapter you are using before it damages your computer sound-card because of running the right channel into a short circuit.

If you are just trying to play the computer audio output through the monitors, it's much easier to select the Presonus as your audio input/output device and send the audio directly to the interface via USB. The above way of connecting the internal sound-card 3.5 mm stereo output would only be useful for recording computer sound back through the Audiobox that you can't route directly to your DAW.
Old 8th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
My computer has a 3.5mm line output on the back which is a green circle in addition to a headphone output on the front.

I switched the audiobox to be my default i/o device and I have noticed it is not as loud, but it sounds even better than before and the whine as well as the cracking is gone. thanks.

If i use that splitter cable will get the same exact results i have now with the audiobox as default?
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I have basically the same setup that you have (a Presonus interface and Realtek sound on the motherboard.) I just use the Presonus interface as the default device. If I want to record sound from YouTube videos, etc, I just change to the Realtek for recording directly from the PC and then change back to the Presonus interface for playback. There's really no need to use the Realtek for anything else.
Old 8th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettersound ➑️
My computer has a 3.5mm line output on the back which is a green circle in addition to a headphone output on the front.

I switched the audiobox to be my default i/o device and I have noticed it is not as loud, but it sounds even better than before and the whine as well as the cracking is gone. thanks.

If i use that splitter cable will get the same exact results i have now with the audiobox as default?
The splitter is only needed if you're using a stereo output. If there is only one green circled jack, it's a stereo output and you need the splitter to extract that audio as two mono channels.

As you've found, using the Presonus as your audio device is the best solution. It's outputs are balanced, and as both I and Scooter Trash mentioned. It's the preferred way to get audio out of your computer. Using unbalanced outputs from a computer to monitors can be problematic because of possible computer noise and ground loops.

As I said, If you want to record the computer output (through the Presonus inputs), you need a splitter cable. Don't connect the sound-card stereo output to a single TRS cable or adapter. That's totally wrong.
Old 9th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
How do I properly set the gain on the monitors? I have the gain all the way up on the monitors themselves and I am just setting the mixer gain at a comfortable listening level. If i hear the song starting to distort I set it back to where it sounds good.
πŸ“ Reply