Run out of headroom - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Run out of headroom
Old 8th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Run out of headroom

Yo,
Currently mixing a rock song in cubase. I am a good boy and gain stage everything properly before starting and I usually end up with about -6db or so of headroom in my songs. Somehow this ones got out of hand, probably because it starts very soft and ends very big and Ive be playing with the dynamics a lot. So I've ended up sitting around -3db, and actually am going over 0db in a few spots. I cant really just drop all my faders easily because in cubase when you automate volume on your tracks (and most of my tracks are automated) you cant adjust the faders anymore - you have to adjust all the volume automations in the timeline, which is a hassle.

I tried pulling down the stereo bus but I notice that this doesnt change the signal going into my stereo bus plug ins like L2 (does it run prefader or something?).

So my other thought was could I actually just drop the input gain on my Stereo Bus? What would be the pros/cons of doing that?

cheers
Old 8th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I don't know Cubase, but dropping the input gain on your stereo bus looks like it might be a perfect solution to your problem.
Harder work but worth considering is to adjust all your track automations to gradually lower levels before the climax, but I suppose that's what you're trying to avoid!
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Insert a gain plug-in if you have one in the first insert slot in the master fader and pull it down there - if you can have your inserts pre-master fader in cubase? Or if you have a compressor on your mix bus, take down its gain slider, again if it's pre-master fader
Old 8th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Seems like a good option. Another idea I had was to re-route all my tracks to a sub-master stereo bus, pull down the level, and then send that to my master stereo bus. But since i have over 100 tracks I'd prefer not to.
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
In PT, there is the option to trim your automation, not sure if something like that exists in CB?

You would group all tracks, select all regions, and trim the volume of everything equally, so the automation moves are preserved.

Something like that would probably be better than using your master fader to lower everything.
Old 8th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
In the future when you want to automate volume, automate the gain knob of the stock utility plugin, dont know what cubase's one is called. Its a good habit precisely because of this kind of situation and you ll be free to do whatever with your fader.
Old 8th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jex2000 ➑️
Seems like a good option. Another idea I had was to re-route all my tracks to a sub-master stereo bus, pull down the level, and then send that to my master stereo bus. But since i have over 100 tracks I'd prefer not to.
I thought of that too, that would also work but was thinking as well if you had a lot of tracks it would be a huge hassle to reassign. I always make a sub master, it's very handy for a number of reasons, especially if you want to record your mix back into the session
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jex2000 ➑️
I cant really just drop all my faders easily
Most modern DAWs have the ability to adjust your automation proportionally

Automation Tips

Using Automation

Quote:
but rather than writing completely new Automation Events it allows you to proportionally adjust existing volume automation data..With Write Automation enabled on a given track, selecting Trim mode and moving the volume fader for that track will trim all the Volume Automation Events on that track between the Left and Right Locators.
I don't use Cubase but certainly it must have a feature to apply this ^ move to all the tracks at once.

Quote:
because in cubase when you automate volume on your tracks (and most of my tracks are automated) you cant adjust the faders anymore - you have to adjust all the volume automations in the timeline, which is a hassle.
It's not that big of a hassle if you group all the tracks together and pull them down a few dB. One small task. Then you are right where you were before, same moves and everything - but lower.

Still, I prefer leaving automation for last in my mixing process.
Old 9th March 2014
Baz
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Cut into the regions that get much louder and 'pull down' the volume of the regions? Just select all the regions and adjust them equally.Won't affect your automation.. Not optimal but could work
Old 10th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz ➑️
Cut into the regions that get much louder and 'pull down' the volume of the regions? Just select all the regions and adjust them equally.Won't affect your automation.. Not optimal but could work
No it needs to be done all together, as this whole problem was created by trying to achieve more dynamics in the song.

Anyway, just gone with the original Stereobus gain reduction method, seems to be working.

But now ive got another 5 options for if it happens again

thanks
πŸ“ Reply