Roommate Gave Me A Bunch Of Gear... Please Help - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roommate Gave Me A Bunch Of Gear... Please Help
Old 6th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Roommate Gave Me A Bunch Of Gear... Please Help

Hey!

I'm very new to audio engineering, and basically have been learning by doing. Recently, my old roommate moved out and said to take all this old gear he hasn't used in years (it was from an old band in highschool, but doesn't play with them any more). I'm trying to figure out what all they do and how I can use it to improve my home studio.

I have a mac book pro, and basically just use garage band. I am wanting to move into pro tools later down the line, but for now I am working with what I've got.

So here is the new gear that I got:

1) Motu 2408mk3: I figured out its an audio converter, and probably need an audio wire to firewire cable is what I assuming to connect to the computer. Any advice is much appreciated.

2) Behringer Model ACB 808P: google says it's a connector box, but I have no idea what it's for... my guess is mic preamp???

3) Berhinger Powerplay Pro-XL HA4700: headphone monitors???

4) Furman Power Conditioner PL plus

5) Furman Power Conditioner plp series (it's red)

Now I am not sure how to connect it all together or how to connect to my computer. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Motu to MBP, and monitoring

MBP TO MOTU
The socket on the Motu labeled "audio wire" is a firewire 400 port. Your MBP has either a firewire 800 port or a thunderbolt port depending on its age. So you need a cable with firewire 400 at one end, and either firewire 800 or thunderbolt at the other. There are also adapters with any combination of F800, F400 and Thunderbolt. On the Motu site you can get the software drivers that will let your MBP talk to the Motu.

MONITORING
The main out 1/4" pair are TRS jacks providing line level output to the amps driving your monitors. These jacks duplicate "analog out 1 & 2."

WW
Old 6th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
The two Furman units are rack mount surge protectors. The meter on the PL Plus will show you what voltage is actually coming from the wall socket. The ACB 808P seems to be an interface of some sort, rather than a preamp. I can't find much about it, but maybe someone else here knows more. The Powerplay is, indeed, a headphone distributor. You probably won't need that till you have several people recording at the same time.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

The Behringer ACB 808P is a passive device that "splits" (8) stereo channels of AES/EBU digital audio on a D-Sub (DB-25 Connector, TASCAM TDIF Format)) to (4) XLR 2-channel inputs and (4) XLR 2-channel outputs. That allows connecting separate devices such as a mic preamp with AES/EBU digital output to a multi-track interface with a D-SUB I/O connector. It's not usable for anything else. These are not analog inputs or outputs. Do not connect a balanced analog signal to any of the ACB 808P connectors, even though they are XLRs.

The MOTU 2408 MK3 has (3) D-Sub TDIF digital I/O ports

The MOTU 2408mk3 is a current model. Street price (new) is about US $950.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Way ➡️
MBP TO MOTU
The socket on the Motu labeled "audio wire" is a firewire 400 port. Your MBP has either a firewire 800 port or a thunderbolt port depending on its age. So you need a cable with firewire 400 at one end, and either firewire 800 or thunderbolt at the other. There are also adapters with any combination of F800, F400 and Thunderbolt. On the Motu site you can get the software drivers that will let your MBP talk to the Motu....
Sorry!
The 2408 MK3 connects to computers with a dedicated PCI card. It's NOT a Firewire port. The 2408 Mk3 should have either a MOTU PCIX-424 or PCIe-424 card attached. It's almost useless** without the PCI card. Unfortunately, your MacBook Pro won't accept a PCI card without an expansion chassis. The MOTU driver, PCI Audio Console and CueMix Console won't run without a "PCI424" card installed.
**The 2408 Mk3 can be operated in "stand-alone" mode (without a computer) as a multi-channel, ADAT to S/PDIF format converter.
Attached Thumbnails
Roommate Gave Me A Bunch Of Gear... Please Help-2408-mk3-pci-connection.jpg   Roommate Gave Me A Bunch Of Gear... Please Help-pci-424-card.jpg  
Old 7th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I'd personally sell the MOTU...get something you can use. Don't sell it to GC...sell it on Ebay so you get what its worth. Use the money to pick up a Focusrite Scarlett interface...or a Presonus interface...something that will fit your needs. Use the excess money to pick up a set of monitors. You can make it go a long way and get a good interface...some of the scarlett packages even come with some decent monitors for beginners. MOTU is nice, but useless to you without spending a lot more cashola...
📝 Reply