Quantcast
Need help finding a good vocal recording mic. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need help finding a good vocal recording mic.
Old 5th March 2014
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Need help finding a good vocal recording mic.

I am looking to get a new vocal recording mic and would like to get some opinions on what I should get given my needs, what I am working with and my environment. I'm looking to make demo quality recordings. I will use it to record vocals, acoustic guitar, electric guitar and piano, but it's most important function will be it's role in the quality of the vocal recordings. I sing in the baritone to tenor range, so I want a mic that fits this range well. I am recording in my apartment small room or bathroom. I'm am recording electronic based rock music. I use a komplete audio 6 interface and cubase for recording. I don't want to spend over $200, but I would like recommendations up to $400 as I might find one used on ebay via bid for close to my price range.

Last edited by mcbard77; 5th March 2014 at 07:19 PM.. Reason: mistake
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
You will probably want a large-diaphragm condenser mic. A cardioid pattern will work just fine for all the sources you describe; you might consider a multi-pattern for added flexibility in the long-term.

Your lower price range is a bit low to expect high-quality results, even by LET's standards; the AT 2020 is not terrible, at about $100, and its bigger brother the 4040 is around $300 and is a well-respected industry workhorse; not so expensive you never take it out of the studio, but good enough for quality results. The NT-1a is about $230 new, and is a good choice for male vocals, with a slight bump to male fundamental frequencies between 100-200Hz, and a slight bump to 3-4kHz for diction. For the price, you get the shockmount and a breathscreen, so all you need is a stand and an acoustic surround and you have yourself a personal vocal recording booth.

Closer to your upper end, the AKG C214 is well-liked; it's a cardioid-only version of a classic, the C414, and it's right at $400 from most retailers. This mic will do almost anything; vocals, acoustic, electric guitar cabs, even some drum work. The Rode NT-2A is a multi-pattern LDC that gets some praise around here; it comes in a "studio solution pack" (includes shockmount and windscreen) for $400. The AT 4050 is a multi-pattern variant of the 4040, and you can find it for $400, though prices vary widely.
Old 5th March 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Thanks for the advice. I will look into these. Note: I guess I should have specified that I'm looking to buy a used for close to $200 mic, that would normally be near $400 new. So best mic for my specs in the range $350-$450 new.
Old 6th March 2014
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Good advice from Liko. I can only speak from my own limited experiences so I'll add the Rode NT-2 to the mix, the old one before they put an (A) on the end. I can't image a better mic for the $120 I paid used (including shock mount, pop filter, case, etc.). SM7 can be really good for rock vox too depending on whether you can get enough gain from your interface. Might find one for $250. Kills on electric guitars, but I've never been able to make it work right with a piano or acoustic guitars.

Lots of passable choices out there. Some kind of LDC by Rode or AT is probably the safest bet for the sources you want to capture. Since you need to mic amps, get a shure sm57 too. You should be able to do both for $200 used on ebay. You'll have the SM57 forever, and you'll upgrade condensers when you see the need. Good luck.
๐Ÿ“ Reply