Quantcast
Controlling multiple keyboards/synths in a live situation. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Controlling multiple keyboards/synths in a live situation.
Old 4th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Controlling multiple keyboards/synths in a live situation.

Hi All,

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I'm an older dude and play keys (enough to be dangerous) in a hobby band that will be playing some live gigs.

My question: Is there a way to control all my equipment with push of a button in a live situation? I asked the question at a national retail guitar type place (yeah I know) and they were basically clueless.

I have Yamaha DX21 Keyboard and a Yamaha e323 keyboard and three rack synths, Roland u110, Proteus 1, and a Yamaha TX81Z.

If I'm using multiple pieces for a song I'm now entering the parameters for each song manually, which takes way to long between songs.

I would like to be able to push or click one time to tell all the equipment how to set up for a particular song.

Example: Song "Midnight Train to Georgia" I want my Yamaha 323 to play trumpet and mix it with the brass from the Proteus 1 and also split the keyboard and play strings on the bottom half and transpose every thing from C to C#.On the DX21 I want to mix organ sounds with the Roland U110 organs and the Yamaha TZ81Z organ sounds and also transpose everything from C toC#.

I'm lost with all the information available. I've been reading about master and slave set ups. Is there a computer program or type of equipment that can do this?

I'm not looking for anyone to tell me how to do this, but I need to find where to go to get this type of information.

Thanks in advance.
Mark
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I don't know the ins and outs (no pun intended) of those particular devices, but some good info can be found here about MIDI:

MIDI Tutorials

MIDI is your friend in trying to do what you want to do via patch change messages and so forth. You might need something external to save the presets in or you might be able to do it via one of your current devices. Again, not familiar with those specific units. You'll also have to check the manuals (look them up online if you have to) to determine the capabilities of each device.
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
An iPad app called Set List Maker could be of help to you.
📝 Reply