Quantcast
Help with choosing second pair of headphones - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help with choosing second pair of headphones
Old 4th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Help with choosing second pair of headphones

So here's my deal. I'm a traveling musician, country to country, and I've always mixed with monitors, so that's not an option anymore. I have to be mobile, so I have to use only headphones. I have a pair of sennheiser sd 280 pro's, and I'm happy with them, but for my ear, I'll mix with them at night, and then in the day I'll put the mix in the monitors, and the bass will be way too ****ing high! Doesn't help that I have hyped low end monitors. I LOVE my headphones, don't get me wrong, but I need a pair that emphasizes the bass more, something less flat maybe? I won't be near speakers enough to cross reference, so a pair of cans that extend the bass might help me to not spend too much time mixing the bass wrong. Also, I realize that this a fault of mine, and that I lack experience! Either way though, if I have this particular tendency, it can't hurt to have the tools to help me compensate for that issue. Also, I record the bass a lot, and since I won't have access to an amp, my new cans should double as headphones that are more pleasurable to practice/record the bass by itself. I don't want something ultra bass hyped, like dre's beats or something like that, just something where the presence of the bass comes more forward than on my 280's, ya' dig? My budget is 300 or less and I have a pretty good 2 channel headphone amplifier. Thank anyone and everyone who can offer me some guidance, I seriously appreciate it!! If it makes any difference to the more experienced mixers out there, the instruments I use in my music are the tabla, the bass (often with distortion and other processing..), cello and violin. I let the tabla have a lot of the bass frequency, and focus the bass more "towards" the midrange.. Maybe that's tmi.. Thanks again!
Old 4th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I should add that I want my other pair to be open, unlike the 280's..
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Asking for more low end and saying you want to move from closed to open cans is kind of like saying I want to eat 4 wheels of cheese a day and not gain weight... the 2 requests are at odds with each other. Closed cans will give you better low end response. They (open back phones with more bass than your current set) may be out there, but you are probably fighting an uphill battle to find open back phones that will beat closed ones in that regard. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!
Old 4th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I know what you're saying, seems totally reasonable. The closed cans can get kind of intense after a while, so I was thinking it'd be good to make my other pair open. So, I guess what I'm after is not necessarily more bass "volume," but more pronounced low frequency in the overall sound profile from the phones. Does that make sense?
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Not exactly lol. More pronounced low frequency would be "louder bass". Again, not saying you can't find something that will suit what you want, but just be aware that it will be harder to find in open back.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Don't worry about open or closed. The perfect cans for you are the discontinued Denon AH-D2000. You can probably find a used pair just within your budget. They are the best value and the most neutral cans available for under twice the price and are also one of the most comfortable. Other than that, for new ones you might try the AKG K550 or the Beyerdynamics DT880, both of which are not as good but are current models.
Old 4th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks Piper! I see you're in fairfield. That's where I'm from!! Went to the Maharishi school through 6th grade, would have graduated in 1999. I went back and lived there in 98 for a year too. That was one of the best year's of my life, ha! You make Uillean pipes!? Last band I was in, 8 piece in Asheville, we had an awesome uillean player. He had two sets. What a wonderful instrument. But back to the topic! Why do you recommend the Denon's? Amazon has a "like new" pair for 335, so they're definitely an option..
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Yikes! Who woulda thunk it!

The Denons have the closest thing to an ideal frequency response at an affordable price. The way they diverge from neutral is in relatively useful ways. The low end is extremely extended and rises slowly like a slightly tipped ruler, instead of having a big hump in the low mids/upper bass and rolled off low bass like most cans. This allows you to hear low bass problems such as vocal pops and subsonic mud in a slightly exaggerated but predictable way so you can take care of it rather than not noticing it. They are slightly bright as well but not nearly as much as most cans such as the Beyers. This also can add to their usefulness as a tool in terms of revealing sibilance issues. Short of spending a lot more, the Denons are superb tools for mixing, though like anything, they need to be understood and compensated for. I have the 2000, 5000, and 7000, as well as a number of others. I much prefer the 7000 but at 3 times the price. The 2000 are actually remarkably close though. I prefer the 2000 to, among others, the Sennheiser 580, 600 and 650, as well as the AKG 701, all of which I owned.
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Don't know what your budget is...wait, just re-read. Never mind.

Ok...I'll say it anyway.

I was in your exact shoes....mixed for a long time on Senn 280's and struggled with the bass. I did some research and went for Ultrasone 900 precisely for that reason......tight and pronounced bass.

Best of luck with your search.
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Though there are certainly many less neutral cans than the Ultrasones, there are many more as well.
Old 6th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper ➑️
Don't worry about open or closed. The perfect cans for you are the discontinued Denon AH-D2000. You can probably find a used pair just within your budget. They are the best value and the most neutral cans available for under twice the price and are also one of the most comfortable. Other than that, for new ones you might try the AKG K550 or the Beyerdynamics DT880, both of which are not as good but are current models.
I totally agree about the DENON headphones. They are flat ans accurate and are a pleasure to use for simple listening to music. They really get the low end right without being smeary or boomy.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
To be honest, although they are the best tool that I have yet found in that budget, they are not perfect, and indeed are a bit exaggerated in the low end, but as I said, I find that to be useful, as long as you account for it. The cans that really get it all truly right are rare and very very expensive. There are some that get it more right than the 2000 but I haven't seen any at less than two or three times that price.
πŸ“ Reply