Quantcast
musicxray - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
musicxray
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
musicxray

... anybody use this and can anybody tell me if it's eula is sneaky and meant to F me?
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
for example, what does this mean.

"For clarity, you retain all of your ownership rights in your User Submissions. However, by submitting User Submissions to MusicXray, you hereby grant MusicXray a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the User Submissions in connection with the MusicXray Websites and MusicXray's (and its successors' and affiliates') business, including without limitation for promoting and redistributing part or all of the MusicXray Websites (and derivative works thereof) in any media formats and through any media channels. You also hereby grant each user of the MusicXray Websites a non-exclusive license to access your User Submissions through the Websites, and to use, reproduce, distribute, display and perform such User Submissions as permitted through the functionality of the Websites and under these Terms of Service. The above licenses granted by you in User Audios terminate within a commercially reasonable time after you remove or delete your User Audios from the MusicXray Service. You understand and agree, however, that MusicXray may retain, but not display, distribute, or perform, server copies of User Submissions that have been removed or deleted. The above licenses granted by you in User Comments are perpetual and irrevocable."
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
'terminate within a commercially reasonable time'... ?

'perpetual and irrevocable...' ?

... as in, we can use your stuff forever if we feel like it? i'll bet soundcloud has the same ****.

edit: and who the F are musicxray's successors and affiliates? as in - 'we can sell your tunes to anybody, thanks'.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
nah, soundcloud isn't sneaky like that.
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I don't think that's what it means, I recall a similar thread and someone explained the language used in that, but no they can't just take your song and do whatever with it you're fine.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My take on that….

***disclaimer….I am not a lawyer…*****

But have read the US copyright code a decent amount for some grad school papers last fall…

You still have ownership of your material and can still do whatever you want with it. They can't say what you can or can't do with it.

However, whatever you put up on their site, they can make money off, use however they want and not share anything with you depending on any other terms of agreement.

They've covered the bases pretty well by mentioning derivative works, different forms of media and delivery (different forms of delivery fall under different parts of copyright law), performances, etc.

"Only one thing is impossible to God, to find any sense in any copyright law on this planet" -Mark Twain

If you want to get a better handle on this, I recommend getting two things:

- Download a copy of the US Copyright code

and to make sense of it get the following book:

Music Copyright Law by David J Moser & Cheryl L Slay

That book saved my butt on a Masters degree paper last semester.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
would just rather not use the site.

ask yourself this, what would brandt morain do.

Why Brandt Morain will never be on Itunes, Amazon, Facebook etc..
Old 4th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsaevad ➡️
would just rather not use the site.

ask yourself this, what would brandt morain do.

Why Brandt Morain will never be on Itunes, Amazon, Facebook etc..
Which is why no legit artists use those sites, right?
Morain should be spelled m-o-r-o-n.

However, musicxray is total bull****. Avoid them.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…