Quantcast
too much low end through my mids? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
too much low end through my mids?
Old 2nd March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
too much low end through my mids?

I have a Polk DSW10 and a set of M-Audio DX4's - my line out of my mixer feeds into the speaker in on the sub and then out from the speaker out of the sub to the DX4's.

This is a fairly new setup, so I'm not sure what it can or can't do, but basically I have made a song that is very bass heavy, i.e. the bass line is a continuos sine wave in a VST called Sytrus and together with my bass drum I am maxing out my DX4's and getting some nasty crunching sounds coming out - the sub handles the notes just fine.

The question is, should I just lay back off the sine wave bass, maybe EQ it in FL Studio, or should I invest in a crossover to send purely mid/high to the DX4's?
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Don't mix with your sub. Just use it for testing the very low stuff. High-pass everything in your mix that doesn't need subs. Yes, your sub should have a crossover. If your DX4s can't handle the mix, it won't translate well on a lot of other systems. You should be monitoring at between 80-85db spl. I cross my sub over at 80Hz and use a foot pedal to bypass it.
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
back it off. if its a sine you cant eq it anyway, because there is nothing to eq it, it is only one single sine without any subs or overtones. you cant eq a sine.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
a) These 'sub notes (frequencies) are up near enough to the cross over HP filter to get into the 4" drivers
b) It's other instruments and frequencies are coinciding with the sub notes at too high a level
c) Either or both the above, or you're just expecting a lot more level out of a 4" system than is realistic.

Look at it like this. If the little guy was just asked to be a mid driver- it'd likely be cruising easy.
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
...first of all...take the levels back......clean out with eq's comes second.....

you'd be surprised how silent you can ride that sine and it still does the grumble job....

and even a thin snare has still some mud underneath you could get rid of....

and mixing with subs is something for movie mixing.....you don't have explosions in your music, do you?

a sub is fun and a good feel check once you're done.....but it's never accurate in mixing music....
at least if you don't sit in a perfectly treated room and did some pro measuring on it...
Old 3rd March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
The levels are definitely back, the main mix tops out at 0dB (90%).

I appreciate your responses from an audio engineering point of view, which is where I asked the question; however, I am mixing music purely for pleasure, it will never be played on anyone else's system.

I like "messing about" with bass and getting a heavy sound (call me simple hehe), so I would like to build in the tolerance in my system to deal with heavy bass, is the sine bass just too heavy though? Should I bother introducing a crossover to make sure I'm not getting too much low end coming through my mids, or like you guys say just find another bass sound.
Old 3rd March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafly ➑️
The levels are definitely back, the main mix tops out at 0dB (90%).
the sine bass just too heavy though? Should I bother introducing a crossover to make sure I'm not getting too much low end coming through my mids, or like you guys say just find another bass sound.
Just out opf curiosity; What frequency is the sine wave?

Any system is only as good as it's weakest link. If your speakers can't handle the volume, then they're the weakest link.

If you aren't using a crossover, then the frequencies in your sub and near-fields are over-lapping. Besides likely phasing issues, you're not likely to have flat frequency response across the spectrum. Subs are called "subs" because they're designed to handle sub-sonic frequencies. Frequencies that you feel more than you hear. I would use an active crossover on the subs, cross them over somewhere between 80-90Hz, run some pink noise, and adjust the balance between the subs and your near-fields using an analyzer. It should be reasonably flat from 20Hz to 20k. Personally, I don't have any idea why anyone would want to run a sine wave throughout a song, but if it's distorting on your speakers, it's too loud. You could try running a limiter or compressor on it to make it appear louder, but as you clip off the top it will become a square wave, won't sound musical, and will likely ruin your speakers. My suggestion FWIW, is to use a crossover, flatten your frequency response, and don't play music at levels that will distort your speakers. Or get speakers that will handle more power.
Old 3rd March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
The sine wave is about 60Hz.

This is the song: https://soundcloud.com/t3hw4h/newsong

You can tell that it's maxing out, I guess the question I want answering is, do I need to improve my equipment to be able to play stuff like this, or do I need to get better at EQing the sound?
Old 3rd March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafly ➑️
The sine wave is about 60Hz.

This is the song: https://soundcloud.com/t3hw4h/newsong

You can tell that it's maxing out, I guess the question I want answering is, do I need to improve my equipment to be able to play stuff like this, or do I need to get better at EQing the sound?
I see; you're using the oscilator as in a synth and not a single sine frequency throughout the song.. The frequencys are 60-100hz. They're slightly clipped, so they'll sound distorted on any system. Record them at a lower level, and yes, use a crossover. I don't know what kind of sub you're using, but often if your powered speakers plug into the sub, the sub has a Xover built in.
πŸ“ Reply