Quantcast
Correct sub woofer to get - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Correct sub woofer to get
Old 2nd March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Correct sub woofer to get

We are a five piece band in a small venue (150 capacity). In our quest for a great pa sound we have just acquired four ev zxl 112p's. We plan on using two for monitors and two for mains. I'm wanting to add a sub woofer to improve thing as much as possible. I believe that if we are just using one sub, an eighteen inch powered sub of at least 1000 watts would be best. Another band member says that the size of the room is small enough that a fifteen inch at 500 watts would be better because the 18 inch would be too boomy. Neither one of us know what we are talking about. My thought is that to prevent being to boomy, you turn it to a correct level and the eighteen inch would assure us the ability to cover the room while the fifteen could be a little lacking. Although the room only seats 150, there a a fairly large dance area that is about 20'x30'. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 2nd March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
The 500 should be plenty, but if you plan on moving to other venues at any point (especially outdoor ones) and you want a little more dynamic range, go for the 1000W. What's your setup? If you only have a bass player doing the low end, you might not even need a subwoofer.
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
The bigger sub will not be too big. If it is too loud, all you need to do is turn it down. Whereas, around the other way, if the smaller one is too small, you can't just turn it up.

I once did a tour of (mostly outdoor) venues around the 500 to 1000 people mark, and the sound guy specified twenty 18 inch subs. LOL. He was nicknamed "smasher", and there wasn't a car alarm in the neighborhood that wasn't going off 5 seconds into sound check heh. Clearly this was overkill, and I mention it only for a laugh.

matt
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…