Quantcast
USB 3.0 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
USB 3.0
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
USB 3.0

I asked another subforum but I'mma bug you guys, too.

Is USB 3.0 fast enough to put 20 tracks at 48khz/24bit onto a SSD in realtime (no pops / cracks / other BS)?
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sure should be. Usb3 beats firewire in speed. Firewire can move 32 tracks both ways, so I'd imagine usb3 would be plenty fast.
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Nah but for real?

Anyone actually done it? Results?
Old 2nd March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
24-bits at 48 Khz is ~ 140.625KB per second.

That is single channel mono, so double it for 2 channel stereo.

So 20 single channel tracks pulled is 2812.5 KB per second, or ~2.747 MB per second.

Basically doubling it for stereo leaves an 'impressive' ~5.5 MB per second

Basic math is (24*48000)/8 = bytes per second ; then divide by 1024 for KB ; again for 1024 for MB.

USB 2.X would handle this load, however USB 1.X would not [1.1 would be able to do ~ 1.5 MB/s max]

I am not aware of too many audio interfaces that are USB 3.0 - so whatever you're doing just make sure the units interface is USB 2.0 or better.

FYI

USB 1.X max 1.5 MB/s
USB 2.0 max 35 MB/s
USB 3.0 max 500 MB/s
USB 3.1 max 922 MB/s

<numbers are approximated and reflect usable bandwidth>

Thanks
Raventhornn
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Thanks

Awesome answer. Assuming it's correct, this thread is squashed.

This won't be the interface, just the HD. The interface will be an Alphalink MX 16-4 over PCIe MADI.
Old 2nd March 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnoise ➑️
This won't be the interface, just the HD.
What is the HD/enclosure? That is the more relevant question then, and getting into the 'what else' is on the shared buss within the machine it self. I expect you'll be fine, just be aware that it isn't always the 'cable-link' that is the bottleneck when it comes to 'computers'.

But like I said, you'll likely be fine, audio isn't as bandwidth heavy as some things.

R_
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
USB 2 on a normal non ssd drive will do that too.

matt
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Word

Sounds like I'm about to give this try when my gear comes in. Thanks for the supportive comments.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raventhornn ➑️
What is the HD/enclosure? That is the more relevant question then, and getting into the 'what else' is on the shared buss within the machine it self. I expect you'll be fine, just be aware that it isn't always the 'cable-link' that is the bottleneck when it comes to 'computers'.

But like I said, you'll likely be fine, audio isn't as bandwidth heavy as some things.

R_

Really? What is more bandwidth heavy than audio over USB? I don't ask incredulously, just to actually learn something. I figured MADI over USB (is that a thing, or just a 'concept') would be bandwidth intensive.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Really? What is more bandwidth heavy than audio over USB? I don't ask incredulously, just to actually learn something. I figured MADI over USB (is that a thing, or just a 'concept') would be bandwidth intensive.
Audio over USB (or over pretty much any protocol) is peanuts compared to video. If you want to see the real heavy hitters when it comes to shoving data down cables look to professional and broadcast video/TV/film etc.
Old 3rd March 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
MADI is setup for multiple channels, at 48Khz I believe it would support 64 channels... The biggest reasons to use it is for cable length [over 100 meters] and number of channels. It is an audio only interface, it is simpler [to an extent] cheaper [compared to USB], and very specific digital interface.

I am not currently aware of any "MADI over USB", I would expect that it would be MADI to USB [meaning a MADI device connected to a computer thru USB], however I really don't know much about those devices [or if there even out there].

We'd have to really geek-into-electirical engineering to talk more about these two different things... [USB vs. MADI].

Now having said all that, "adrianww" is right, Video chew up data like no-bodies business... and file transfer - those are the big things in data transfer.

But the more I think about your initial question & the more you talk, I don't think you have the right idea with regards to what's going on when you record [I could be TOTALLY WRONG, I admit that for this next part]. I don't think you are recording straight to disk, unless you have some software I am not aware of or some settings that I don't know about. My limited experience with DAW - is that once your recording it's all RAM. Now I admit if you run out of that, it may start flushing to disk; but that is a bit different amount of data; as it will be writing a file with all the special information that your DAW uses, not just the audio data.

Again I still think you'll be fine, and if someone knows a software package that records audio straight to disk in realtime I'd love to know what it is [or if I'm wrong in my understand of how most DAW function].

R_
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
All Daw packages records to disc. There are generelly a few seconds of buffers but no more.
Many, but not all, updates the disc in a way that you lose only the last seconds before a power failure.
Old 3rd March 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghellquist ➑️
All Daw packages records to disc. There are generelly a few seconds of buffers but no more.
Many, but not all, updates the disc in a way that you lose only the last seconds before a power failure.
Thanks for the clarification ghellquist; I will do some minor experimentation to confirm my DAW packages do this too.

My point still stands that the data thru put is more than just the raw audio though, how much more I couldn't tell you without more training [in decompiling the save data] and parsing the actual files.

R_
πŸ“ Reply