Quantcast
How to export vocal tracks to MP3s ProTools11 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to export vocal tracks to MP3s ProTools11
Old 2nd March 2014
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
How to export vocal tracks to MP3s ProTools11

Hi everyone, I have been asked to record vocals for a friend on a track he had cut in Nashville. The engineer sent me the music track in an MP3. There are going to be three separate vocals recorded and once finished I need to send the vocal tracks back to the guy in Nashville so he will be able to mix it.

I really don't want to mess this up. I am using Pro tools 11 and need advice on how to export the three separate tracks to MP3s and put them on a USB drive for the client. I need to make sure they will be usable for the engineer to mix with.

He noted that the track tempo is 98 and 3 bars out front.

I am very thankful for any help/advice I can get.
Thank you
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz66 โžก๏ธ
Hi everyone, I have been asked to record vocals for a friend on a track he had cut in Nashville. The engineer sent me the music track in an MP3. There are going to be three separate vocals recorded and once finished I need to send the vocal tracks back to the guy in Nashville so he will be able to mix it.

I really don't want to mess this up. I am using Pro tools 11 and need advice on how to export the three separate tracks to MP3s and put them on a USB drive for the client. I need to make sure they will be usable for the engineer to mix with.

He noted that the track tempo is 98 and 3 bars out front.

I am very thankful for any help/advice I can get.
Thank you
Hey Buzz,
Welcome to the forum!
I am pretty sure that although you have been sent an mp3 to imprt into your session (bars and beats / 98 BPM) he would want the .wav files of the vocal tracks, and not an mp3.
To aswer your question, here is what you can do...
1) mute the other 2 tracks, so hearing only 1 vocal track .
2) edit the music mp3 you recieved from the mixer to include only the first 5 or 10 seconds of audio before the vocals begin. ( this will help him to line up your files to his perfectly by having some lead in).
3) go in grid mode, and make sure to pre select the timeline for the start and ending that will be the same for all 3 mixes that you are going to do.
4) select file> bounce to disk> and choose either .wav or mp3. again, I am pretty certain the mixer would like the .wav files, so ask him / her what bit rate and sample rate they would like to get back from you.)
5) If choosing an mp3, look at you options, and choose the highest quality, convert after bounce)
6) Repeat this bounce to disk 3 times, simply mute the other vocal tracks so that each mix is 1 vocal with lead-in from the mp3. You can name each mix as vocal1, vocal2, or vocal 3.
7) now you can drag and drop these 3 vocal track mixes on your usb drive, and email the 3 files to the mixer...if they are .wav files, you could email them 1 at a time in case the file size becomes too large.

I hope that helps.
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 5 years
I wouldn't assume that because the track was sent as an MP3 that the Engineer wants an MP3 to work with. He's more likely to want an uncompressed format. I would first double-check with the engineer and ask what format he wants you to send the layers in.
Old 2nd March 2014
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Thanks a lot, I said MP3 but he did send it as a .wav file.
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
I do a lot of work like this and I just have the engineer send me a backing track that starts at O. Then I send back individual files that all start at 0. It always lines up. I also try to get the tempo of the song if the engineer has recorded to a click.
๐Ÿ“ Reply