Quantcast
Midi Interface questions - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Midi Interface questions
Old 1st March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Midi Interface questions

Hi guys, im pretty new here. I've been lurking off an on for a while but just created an account recently. I only used to end up here when i googled a specific question. My setup isnt super slutty but it gets the job done for what i do.

I have Ableton and 4 pieces of outboard gear that accept midi with only a NI Komplete Audio 6 (1 In and 1 Out). I want to get some sort of midi device akin to a 4 in 4 out box so that i can drive them all at the same.

Question is: I dont know much about them so do they show up as sound cards or is it more of a passive device as far as ableton is concerned? Ide prefer to not have to switch to ASIO4All but if they all work like sound cards i guess ide have to as ableton can only really see one card at a time. Additionally, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I dont have bags of monies but im always willing to pay more for the solution rather than the band-aid fix.

I apologize if this ends up in the wrong category. again, im just really learning the ropes.
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hey,

just google 4x4 midi interface, you will find tons.

What platform are you on? Pc or MAC? if you are on mac I can recommend the Emagic MT4/MT8.
They are very reliable and you can get them used for pretty much nothing nowadays.

Midi interfaces have their own drivers, nothing to do with Asio4all.
Usually the DAW recognizes the interface and you can choose it directly
on the midi track and decide which port and channel to use.

But an even cheaper solution for you would be if you daisy-chain you outboard gear.
Do 3 of your devices have midi through outputs?

If so, you could hook up one device directly to the midi out of your interface.
Connect the next one from midi through of the first device to midi in of the second.
Connect the next one from midi thorough of the second device to midi in of the thrid.
Connect the next one from midi thorough of the third device to midi in of the fourth.

Then you set the 4 devices to receive on different midi channels e.g.:
Device 1 - Midi Channel one
Device 2 - Midi Channel two
and so on....

Then you make 4 midi tracks in Ableton and use midi channel one to midi channel four, as outputs.
All your devices should receive notes and cc and you'd spare to buy an extra midi interface.

hope this helped.

cheers
📝 Reply