Quantcast
Need info - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need info
Old 28th February 2014
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Need info

Hi, everyone. I hope this is the proper place for this question. If not, please forgive me. I'm new to this forum and was led here by a web search for info on a BM700 condenser mic. The one I am considering comes with a cord that ends in a 1/8th inch stereo phone plug. Specs say it requires a 48v phantom supply, which I have on my mixer board but that is on an XLR jack. I have never seen any equipment that supplies 48v in a mini jack. I can convert the mini to a 1/4 inch which is also on my mixer. What I am wondering is will this mic take the 48v without damage or has this particular model been modified to operate on 3-9v like what would be supplied by my laptop?

I chose this particular mic for its good reviews and low price. My needs are not for extremely high audio quality because I just want to create some children's audio books. Not likely they will be critical about some off freq. responses. I hope! Can someone shed some light on this for me. Any help will be gratefully appreciated.
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 5 years
I have no way of knowing if it's been modified, but it it takes 48v phantom I'd snip that connector off and solder a proper XLR connector onto it.
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
If it's an ISK BM700 it's very unlikely that it's been modified to work on anything less than the specified 48 Volts. Having been modified to use a 3.5 mm stereo plug is very strange for a LDC, 48 volt only mic. It's certainly not original and if the connector only has been changed, one has to ask why?

I would not touch it without a detailed explanation of why it has the small plug and a guarantee from the seller that it will work if converted back to an XLR and conventionally phantom powered.

Who knows what else may have been done to the mic? It may have a $10 Chinese SM58 dynamic clone capsule installed for all we know.

For a mic designed to work on 48 volts only, as the ISK BM700 is, it would be impossible to convert it to run on the typical FET small condenser bias on 3.5 mm computer and small recorder inputs. A typical solid-state LDC mic requires approximately 100 to 250 mW of power. The typical +5 or +9 volt FET mic bias on a 3.5 mm jack can only supply about 5 to 10 mW max.

I'd proceed very cautiously. Buying a used condenser mic is risky at best, and one that's been modified in such an unconventional way is even "riskier". Is it significantly cheaper than a brand new one? (ISK BM-700 with shock mount, 20ft. XLR cable and aluminum case currently costs. US$79.95). That's very, very low, even for an inexpensive Chinese mic.

FWIW: Don't know what mixer you have, but I've never seen a mixer with phantom power (+48Volts) on it's 1/4-inch inputs. They are typically attenuated "line-level" inputs and don't carry phantom power so cannot work with a powered mic at all. Even if only the connector has been changed on this mic, and it's otherwise unmodified, it won't work when connected to your mixer's 1/4-inch input with an adapter (unless you have a very, very unconventional mixer).
Old 28th February 2014
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Scooter and Lotus, thank you for your replies. Lotus, after reading your reply, I decided to work some numbers. According to factory specs the ISK draws only 3ma @ 48v. That comes out to 160 ma, well within the range you quoted. My laptop supplies 5v @ 200ma at least, maybe more. That comes out to 1 watt. If that miniplug really was designed to plug into a computer mic jack, it is very conceivable that a DC-DC inverter can be incorporated into the mic's circuit board. Which means (theoretically) that it could get it's required 48v supply from 5v. Thinking logically, no one would design a 48v mic to operate off of a 5v supply without the proper circuitry to run it. Not even the Chinese. Actually, I was hoping to find someone who had hands on experience with this unit. Not today, I guess. BTW, I can get this mic from China for $28 or from the US for $35, both with the accessories you mentioned. So, I guess I will do a bit more searching but will likely get brave and order it and give it a try. Thanks again for your response.
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
It's possible that whomever originally purchased the "modified" mic didn't understand that it needed phantom power supplied via the signal cable and just changed the connector. Finding that it didn't work they may have decided to "unload" it. Who knows?

It's amazing that a LDC mic with accessories can be produced at the prices you've found. I'd wonder about their quality control and testing.
The last Neumann shock mount I purchased cost $130, and it's one of their "cheap" ones.
Old 1st March 2014
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningbear โžก๏ธ
Hi, everyone. I hope this is the proper place for this question. If not, please forgive me. I'm new to this forum and was led here by a web search for info on a BM700 condenser mic. The one I am considering comes with a cord that ends in a 1/8th inch stereo phone plug. Specs say it requires a 48v phantom supply, which I have on my mixer board but that is on an XLR jack. I have never seen any equipment that supplies 48v in a mini jack. I can convert the mini to a 1/4 inch which is also on my mixer. What I am wondering is will this mic take the 48v without damage or has this particular model been modified to operate on 3-9v like what would be supplied by my laptop?

I chose this particular mic for its good reviews and low price. My needs are not for extremely high audio quality because I just want to create some children's audio books. Not likely they will be critical about some off freq. responses. I hope! Can someone shed some light on this for me. Any help will be gratefully appreciated.
Almost all the "BM700" microphones with that cable arrangement are a non-branded model... I would not buy it. Some have identified that if you can get phantom power to it [and the easiest way would to just replace the cable with a standard XLR > XLR cable, in my opinion] is they have really not been impressed with sound.

I have seen some pictures of a 'version' of this that supposedly house a battery in the actual unit, but again I wouldn't bother with this one.

None of this goes for the actual ISK BM700, just the un-branded/'MECO' version...

From amazon: Amazon.com : MECO Blue Condenser Sound Recording Microphone BM700 Dynamic + Shock Mount : Musical Instruments

You can dig up some 'reviews' with some google searches [one very useful was on an ebay sell of this mic, basically admitting it was a bad mic, and selling to someone who may wanted it for use with a mic mod]

Raventhornn
๐Ÿ“ Reply