Avoiding latency? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Avoiding latency?
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
Avoiding latency?

Is there a way to avoid latency when recording and monitoring with pro tools? I like to use pt like a board and send headphone cue via auxes but now I'm getting latency issues. I use a board at other places and no issues but for my home studio which is mainly for mixing but also I track vox and acoustic instruments here a lot too.. What can I do? A mixer?
Old 28th February 2014
Deleted 2d43ac6
Did you adjust your buffer size to a smaller figure? This will reduce latency but the payoff is that it uses more computer processing and cpu. Try 64 or 128. Keep plugins to a minimum to help with cpu load issues.
You can also do a ping test and measure the latency delay time and offset this by as many samples as needed. I use logic and there is a slider to +/- recording delay samples. I assume Pro Tools has the same thing.
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleseglin โžก๏ธ
Is there a way to avoid latency when recording and monitoring with pro tools? I like to use pt like a board and send headphone cue via auxes but now I'm getting latency issues. I use a board at other places and no issues but for my home studio which is mainly for mixing but also I track vox and acoustic instruments here a lot too.. What can I do? A mixer?
Does your interface have a software mixer that is independent of Pro Tools? If so, you can monitor using that and mute the track in Pro Tools while tracking. Otherwise a mixer might be the solution.
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
When posting questions like this it is helpful for the OP to provide things like DAW type and version, interface and model, computer brand and internal specs, OS type and version. Without that information responders are just guessing.

For example - I am running PT 11.2 on a new MacPro and OSX Mavericks into an Orion32 with a buffer size of 32. My headphone mixes are run out through Auxes into my Orion and into a Furman HDS6. I use a single UAD EMT140 plugin on a single track as an insert to provide a courtesy reverb for the vocalist.

With that level of detail someone can actually help you troubleshoot your problem. FWIW that is my system and I get effectively no latency.
Old 28th February 2014
Deleted 2d43ac6
I agree with the majority of the above.

Have you simply Google`d or Youtube`d the issue? Latency is a common issue which is usually simple to remedy as long as you are smart about it.
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
My setup is very similar to climbers setup. Orion 32, imac, route out of pt11 to a small mixer which receives the artist on one ch, click on a second ch and the mix if there is one on the next 2 ch. I am not new to this I've googled and read and tried and watched and and yeah. I am used to used to simply using a board.. I have had apogee and ua interfaces as well and never had issues like this. Ua had console app which was useful but the Orion low latency mixer sucks so I'm stuck monitoring through pt now.

How would a mixer help this situation?
Old 1st March 2014
Deleted 2d43ac6
Either I'm misunderstanding your problem but adding hardware will not solve a problem with your software latency.
Old 1st March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleseglin โžก๏ธ
My setup is very similar to climbers setup. Orion 32, imac, route out of pt11 to a small mixer which receives the artist on one ch, click on a second ch and the mix if there is one on the next 2 ch. I am not new to this I've googled and read and tried and watched and and yeah. I am used to used to simply using a board.. I have had apogee and ua interfaces as well and never had issues like this. Ua had console app which was useful but the Orion low latency mixer sucks so I'm stuck monitoring through pt now.

How would a mixer help this situation?
If you have an Orion32 why are you posting this in the Newbie section and not in the Orion thread?..
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
I was just curious in general if there's a way to use a mixer just for cue. Or anyone else's techniques. Not specific to any particular interface.
๐Ÿ“ Reply