Quantcast
What equiptment do I need? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What equiptment do I need?
Old 26th February 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
What equiptment do I need?

I have recently decided that I want to peruse a career in Music Production and Audio Engineering in the genres of Hip-Hop, Rap, and Pop. I use FL Studio to make instrumental tracks and Presonus Studio One Artist to record vocals. I have a Presonus Audiobox with 2 XLR Condenser Mics. I wanted to purchase a mixing board, specifically one that you would see in the studio for Timbaland or Kanye West. But how do these boards connect to my program and to Pro Tools, which I will eventually upgrade to. Does it go through a pre-amp? Any help, thanks!
Old 26th February 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Some type of plugin deal with a weird looking name. Mogami or something like that. I think its from Japan.
Old 27th February 2014

🎧 10 years
The "mixing boards" you see Kanye or Timbaland sitting over tend to cost upwards of $50k for a 2nd hand desk, require a separate room to put the power supply in, draw a hell of a lot of electricity, require air con, need regular maintenance etc..

Used & Vintage Consoles & Mixers - Vintage King Audio if you're interested.

You don't NEED those to make hip hop, rap and pop. You've got what you need already. It's not sexy, or as impressive looking as a big desk...but make sure your room sounds good (both for recording in and mixing) and just work on the computer.

How does the desk connect to the computer system? through an interface that has something like 24 inputs, 48 outputs or more. And a patch bay to make sure everything goes where it's meant to.

There's a whole world of music tech education to actually answer your question that simply isn't possible in one forum post. I suggest reading as much as you can, watching Youtube links/Pensado's place (even if you don't understand a lot of it, sooner or later things start to make sense), experimenting, and above all try to get into a "real" studio to watch and learn how things work.

If you were wanting to record bands, my advice would be different. But for recording and producing rap, you don't need a mixing desk at all.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djstunna ➡️
I have recently decided that I want to peruse a career in Music Production and Audio Engineering in the genres of Hip-Hop, Rap, and Pop. I use FL Studio to make instrumental tracks and Presonus Studio One Artist to record vocals. I have a Presonus Audiobox with 2 XLR Condenser Mics. I wanted to purchase a mixing board, specifically one that you would see in the studio for Timbaland or Kanye West. But how do these boards connect to my program and to Pro Tools, which I will eventually upgrade to. Does it go through a pre-amp? Any help, thanks!
Lol, that part about a mixing board made me laugh pardon me

How praytell will you be using a mixing board in your audiobox setup?
Old 27th February 2014
GV1
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I've never understood why hip hop artists such as Kanye and Timberland need such huge mixing desks. Anyone care to explain?
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
when you don't have band you got fill the room with something ! or there bloke in room by himself in the video !
Old 27th February 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GV1 ➡️
I've never understood why hip hop artists such as Kanye and Timberland need such huge mixing desks. Anyone care to explain?
For OTB mixing.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GV1 ➡️
As pointed out, you might want to be mixing through it!

The other overlooked issue - if you've got a producer with his setup (mpc, laptop, keys etc) a desk is really useful to be able to capture all that easily.

I've engineered for writer/producers like this - guys who want to work incredibly quickly, and tbh aren't that fussed by absolute audio quality/session organization!

I found it easiest to have everything bussed to a pair of groups and to be constantly recording that....that way when he switched instruments mid take or suddenly started playing mid playback, I had it covered. We could also leave live instruments permanently set up, and everything got captured ok.

Wouldn't have been impossible in an ITB room....just a bit slower and less inspiring.
GV1
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ave Crux ➡️
For OTB mixing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➡️
As pointed out, you might want to be mixing through it!

The other overlooked issue - if you've got a producer with his setup (mpc, laptop, keys etc) a desk is really useful to be able to capture all that easily.

I've engineered for writer/producers like this - guys who want to work incredibly quickly, and tbh aren't that fussed by absolute audio quality/session organization!

I found it easiest to have everything bussed to a pair of groups and to be constantly recording that....that way when he switched instruments mid take or suddenly started playing mid playback, I had it covered. We could also leave live instruments permanently set up, and everything got captured ok.

Wouldn't have been impossible in an ITB room....just a bit slower and less inspiring.
I see. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
And lets be honest Big F*** SSL api or neve looks F*** cool !!!!!
📝 Reply