Quantcast
Patchbay routing - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Patchbay routing
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Patchbay routing

Does it really matter if the inputs are on the top or bottom of the back of a patchbay?

With grey on the bottom front, I've got the outs from my mixer going into the top on the back, and from the bottom on the back it goes to my interface. This way I can plug a cable into a top on the front and plug the other end into any bottom which will send that to my interface instead.

The opposite would be swapping the top/bottom cables on the back. This would be set up so that I can grab the signal coming from my mixer by plugging into the bottom, then routing it elsewhere or to another one of my interface channels by plugging into the top.

I guess both are valid and it just depends on what you need.
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Also, I've always wondered... when you plug something into the top front, you're splitting the signal. Don't you lose some DBs or quality by doing that?
Old 26th February 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Common practice has outputs on the top row and inputs on the bottom. This allows for a logical signal flow, especially for those outputs normalled to inputs. Some patch bays are half-normalled allowing a signal to be split, and no, you won't comprmise the signal for line level outputs by doing this.

If you wire things opposite your normals won't work as designed. If you have a semi-pro patch bay with jacks on front and back its easy enough to wire it however you like, but you might as well folllow the normal path because its logical and everyone expects it to be that way.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm reading what people are doing and they'll say 'the inputs are on bottom'. Does that mean they plugged a cable from the input jack into the bottom back, or does that mean they plugged an output jack into the bottom back (making the bottom back an input)?

My first post notes how I have it set up. Should I switch it around?

Quote:
With grey on the bottom front, I've got the outs from my mixer going into the top on the back, and from the bottom on the back it goes to my interface. This way I can plug a cable into a top on the front and plug the other end into any bottom which will send that to my interface instead.
This way on the front, the bottom jacks have become inputs (going to my interface) and all top jacks are outputs.
Old 27th February 2014

🎧 10 years
If you aren't a commercial studio with other engineers working there, and you are happy the way it is, there is no reason to change anything. BUT, if its a professional patchbay with normal long facilities, you aren't getting the best use out of it (because the normalled patch needs no plugging and unplugging, you only need patch cables when you want to send audio down another route).
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm setting it up so I don't have to patch anything actually. My question is mainly about what goes on top and what goes on bottom on the back usually. I can see it working both ways.
Old 27th February 2014

🎧 10 years
Outs on top, ins below, because that's the way the signal flows. If you set it up the other way around any half-normalling won't work properly.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I also mentioned earlier that it's confusing reading 'outs on top, ins on bottom'. Does that mean plug the outputs of my mixer into the top back so the top front is also an output? The bottom back would be leading to my interface so the bottom front would be inputs.

That's how I've got it set up now.
Old 27th February 2014 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSLand ➑️
I also mentioned earlier that it's confusing reading 'outs on top, ins on bottom'. Does that mean plug the outputs of my mixer into the top back so the top front is also an output? The bottom back would be leading to my interface so the bottom front would be inputs.

That's how I've got it set up now.
You got it!
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…