Quantcast
my mix through a limiter - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
my mix through a limiter
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
my mix through a limiter

so i test the mix through a limiter (stock studio one limiter) and adjust it accordingly.

then i take it off, and everything's ok, but the drums are too loud, specifically the snare is louder than i'd have it normally.

just wondering what does this means, and which mix is right

also - an LCR mix (hard panned rock guitars) should transition decently to mono without anything fancy right? ... but i think the guitars do dip a bit. what to do?
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i mean, if i'm sending a track in for mastering, do i want the limiter mix or the non-limiter mix?

i would assume the non-limiter mix.

k thanks.
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
... i'm sure this is one of those noob question that, when at a higher skill level, isn't even a valid or relating issue.

I could try another limiter, but probably just disregard limiter mix as stupid noobness.
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I dont do this often, mostly on personal stuff I want to push around town. Anyway, I learned to mix into the limiter then removing it when sending things to be mastered. So as to allocate enough room for the mastering engineer to do his or her thing. What I learned here is, since your sending the track to mastering why not bounce both versions to give the ME a general area of where you want the drums to sit at in relation to your mix?

automate the parts of the guitar that dont dip down a bit on the L/R channels and add a low volume center track to compensate and automate the center material up to compensate for the dip? I dont like chopping pieces out for this because placing them in center and them suddenly popping in and is distracting at times. unless I go back a few counts and fade the center instrument in well. I hope any of that was helpful.
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
If the drums are too loud without the limiter then you need to take a 2nd look at your mix. When you add a limiter with makeup gain it'll bring up some of the quieter sounds in the mix but also the bass sounds (so I've noticed). When you send a track in for mastering, you want it to be uncompressed, nothing on the mastering chain and to make sure it is not clipping. The mastering engineer will do the rest but he or she will not be able to fix or save a mix if it is poorly done.

Skillz335 had a good suggestion of listening to the mix both with limiter and without limiter on. Try to find a median in between the sound of both. Use the limiter as a reference, but try to get the mix without the limiter to sound good as well. It will slightly change after mastering but there shouldn't be a HUGE difference as far as how everything in the mix sits after mastering is completed.

Hope that helps. Cheers
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…