Quantcast
5 Main important things to sound nearly Lenny Kravitz? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
5 Main important things to sound nearly Lenny Kravitz?
Old 19th March 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
5 Main important things to sound nearly Lenny Kravitz?

Hey guys,

i like the stuff what Lenny makes, this post retro kind of rock but with that modern Bass vibe. Guitar sounds great it´s very near and dirty fuzzy , Snare the same (sounds bombastic for me), Bass full and rich like double rich chocolade.

So what are the 5 main important things we have to follow, to generate a nearly sound like Lenny/ come close to it ?
Voice doesn´t matter in the moment, only the instruments.

Thx and Greetz
Dave
Old 20th March 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Or do someone of you guys know where i could find some recording tips/tricks from Henry Hirsch?
I guess there is no book from him...
Old 20th March 2013
Lives for gear

8 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by szczur ➡️
Or do someone of you guys know where i could find some recording tips/tricks from Henry Hirsch?
I guess there is no book from him...
Lenny owns and uses a crap-ton of vintage gear ... instruments, outboard gear, consoles, etc.

His drums always sound a little 70s to me ... deaden the snare, no big room sounds, keep it simple and don't polish em much.

Bass always sounds a little driven and fuzzy.

Guitars panned left and right with more overdrive distortion than the modern type you hear a lot today. That is probably pretty important - the right guitar tone/distortion/overdrive.

The songs always have a "band" vibe to them - same instruments from beginning to end like they tracked em all live together - even though he plays many parts himself.

Overall I think it's choices in instrumentation and production that get you there. If you're gonna use drum samples then find something vintage or 70s for that closer, thuddy, less contemporary sound.
Old 20th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
...and don't forget to play every instrument yourself.
Old 20th March 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRick ➡️
...and don't forget to play every instrument yourself.
Why?
I´m only a guitarist/bassist. But the drums on lenny´s tracks, sounds simple played with not too many breaks, mostly snare, hihat and kick ...
But we are two guys, and the other one is a great drumer.

@brianellefson: thank you for your post/answer
Old 20th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Why?
I´m only a guitarist/bassist. But the drums on lenny´s tracks, sounds simple played with not too many breaks, mostly snare, hihat and kick ...
But we are two guys, and the other one is a great drumer.

@brianellefson: thank you for your post/answer
...just a mere reflection, since Lenny oftentimes likes to play them all himself. Not too seriously though. And yes - the drums are simple.
Old 20th March 2013
Lives for gear

8 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
No prob.

I do love those Kravitz albums ... and for the same reasons you're asking about.

I think simplicity is a key thing here, too. In terms of mic'ing and production - his albums never seem to be overly polished. I like that.

I have a short demo up on my soundcloud (link is listed on my profile) where the production is really similar - thuddy 70s drums, two guitars, bass, clav and one voice. I still need to finish writing an recording the song, but that right now is the production I'm striving for. Song is called "You've Gotta Get It Under Rule." see what you think about that if you've got a sec.
Old 20th March 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I´m in the office right now, i will check that later at home .

I´ve listend to the end 70´s Stones Album (Let it bleed), which one of my fav´s Stones Vinyls, i wanted to compare it to lenny´s stuff. It seems that the guitar and snare is closer to listener than the Stones recording.

For me Lenny sounds "clearer" , more modern if i could say that, and the kick and bass is very rich and powerful., it´s a great mix between old style and modern sound.
Old 20th March 2013
Lives for gear

8 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
It is. It's just not overly polished and too shiny - and I like that.

Look up his studio sometime; lots of info on his gear and setup.
Old 21st March 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianellefson ➡️
No prob.

I do love those Kravitz albums ... and for the same reasons you're asking about.

I think simplicity is a key thing here, too. In terms of mic'ing and production - his albums never seem to be overly polished. I like that.

I have a short demo up on my soundcloud (link is listed on my profile) where the production is really similar - thuddy 70s drums, two guitars, bass, clav and one voice. I still need to finish writing an recording the song, but that right now is the production I'm striving for. Song is called "You've Gotta Get It Under Rule." see what you think about that if you've got a sec.
Hey, sounds nice, like the Drums and the Bass line. How did you miked up the Drums?
Old 21st March 2013
Lives for gear

8 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Well I cheated on that demo ... its a repeating loop but with my own snare. If I ever finish that song then it'll be completely live drums.

I think I had my wallet on one side of the snare and some t-shirt material on the other. It's a '65 Supraphonic. I like that thuddy 70s snare.

From song to song it ranges between real kit, half and half, and loops. I'm not a fantastic drummer, but I think I'm a control freak when it comes to em.

Thanks for the good words.
Old 21st March 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Yea i also think that the main import thing is, that you could only record what the instrument gives you.
We have a wooden Snare (it´s an Tamburo Set), it sounds good, but it has not this 70´s sound. Our snare is made of solid wood, build in this unique wooden barrel style. Sounds extremly dry. My drumer will buy a steel snare to get this 70´s touch.

Also the Kickdrum is an 18" and i guess Lenny is using a 24" Kickdrum, maybe not so deep but the 24" gives you that full rich bass from the kick.

The Snare playes a major role in Lennys sound.
Old 21st March 2013
Lives for gear

8 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yea i also think that the main import thing is, that you could only record what the instrument gives you.
We have a wooden Snare (it´s an Tamburo Set), it sounds good, but it has not this 70´s sound. Our snare is made of solid wood, build in this unique wooden barrel style. Sounds extremly dry. My drumer will buy a steel snare to get this 70´s touch.

Also the Kickdrum is an 18" and i guess Lenny is using a 24" Kickdrum, maybe not so deep but the 24" gives you that full rich bass from the kick.

The Snare playes a major role in Lennys sound.
I think you're right. Snare can set the tone. Yeah you can put a towel on em or loosen the top head, etc, but they only change so much in either direction, only so far you can tune up or down before it turns to junk.

Keep us up on your progress. I wanna hear what you guys make.
Old 23rd March 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianellefson ➡️

Keep us up on your progress. I wanna hear what you guys make.
Yea : D no worries i will keep you informed
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…