Quantcast
How do i connect my record player to my speakers? -_- - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How do i connect my record player to my speakers? -_-
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
How do i connect my record player to my speakers? -_-

Ok, first of all, thanks for checking this out. This is a complete and utter NOOB question. Even I kinda laugh at my self about this...

So i was at the vinyl store the other day.. and decided to start collecting vinyls in hopes to one day sample some sounds... and turns out... There was a KAM Box100 Pro Torque system record player just sitting there on sale for 30 pounds.

Without a doubt i bought it in hopes i could check out the vinyls i've bough today. Upon coming home i realise that the record player has both an RCA Cable, and a cable something like a speaker wire (see attached photo below).... now i'm not THAT ********. I know now that I can't just plug my record label into my TDK Speaker boombox soundsystem... (Can i?) mind you it has input ports for RCA cables... i just don't get what to do with that other third cable, or the speaker wire...

Do i need to buy something like an extension, or an amp, or a soundcard or something before i can start to get this baby working?

Any sollutions would be much appreciated as i WOULD LOVE TO HEAR THE 40 VINYLS I BOUGHT TODAY. I swear i spent the whole day there.

also if i do need to buy something extrra, could you suggest something more on the cheaper range of things as i am just a young student looking to start my music production career..

again, any input would be appreciated! thank you so much!

Cheers!
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
You need a phono preamp to get it to work properly. You would use the RCAs. I'm not sure what the other connections would be (maybe a ground for the gold plated U and the 5 pin might be to use it with another deck).
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by disinfor ➑️
You need a phono preamp to get it to work properly. You would use the RCAs. I'm not sure what the other connections would be (maybe a ground for the gold plated U and the 5 pin might be to use it with another deck).
Correctamundo
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
thank you guys... but what is that two headed cable called?

another question... is it possible to plug this straight into a soundcard and from the soundcard to my laptop to speakers ,,,, ? so i dont need an amp...

if so... any suggestions on what soundcards i should invest in.... them being not to expensive and also still giving out great quality,..... keep in mind im a beginner so this is all just for trial and error/practice....
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The two headed cable is an RCA cable.

You could plug it directly into the soundcard on your computer, but it would be extremely quiet. The record player puts out a really low signal level, which is why you absolutely need the phono preamp. There is no way around an amp.

There are USB interfaces that allow you to connect phono sources to your computer.

Here's an example: Amazon.com: American Audio Audio Geni Ii Soundcard With Phono In: Musical Instruments

Based on the first review, it looks like there's a way to listen back without actually recording (which is probably what you'll want to do). You would just take those line outputs and plug them into your speakers or whatever set up you are using.
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Probably the cheapest option for you will be a real basic & possibly second hand DJ mixer, something from KAM or dare I say it Gemini. This will happily accept your 2 headed RCA cable and the little black wire is the earth which will screw to a little peg on the back of the mixer, then if you ever see another turntable going cheap you can also set both up & this could be the start of a new career?!

Joking aside, the mixer will boost the low level from the turntable & will output on the old red/white phono leads I'm sure you're more familiar with which should plug into your TDK stereo if it has 'aux in' on it anywhere

Andre
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Thank you all so much for the input.
I had to rush buy this for a project. So i ended up going with the USB Phono Plus V2 by ART.

It has no lead chords in put buy it had what i needed for my rca leads and my record player... it came with a great cd app that allowed me to record my records on whatever file type I wanted and at great quality! Only 70 pounds!... so i went with that... but the problem i have now

IS.. how do i get the recordplayer to show up onto logic so i can record a track and scrratch/ etc while the record is spinning and logic is recording?

Any help would be great.

I know i can export the audio files into logic. But i would like to scratch and maybe speed up/slow down the tempo at some parts the sounds I found.

Hope you guys can give me some more great advice.
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The ART will work great for you.

To use it in Logic, you have to set up Logic to recognize the ART as an input device. I'm not sure how to do it (as I don't use Logic), but reading Logic's help documents, you should be able to figure it out. Or someone reading this may be more familiar with Logic and can tell you how.
Old 1st February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Create new audio track > select which input on the ART your turntable is connected to > double check output is right for your speakers > click create then click record arm on the new track (little box with 'r' in) > hit record button in the transport bar & scratch away to your hearts content!

Andre
Old 1st February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Unbeliavable....
πŸ“ Reply