Quantcast
Headphones quiet with US-1800 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Headphones quiet with US-1800
Old 28th January 2013
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Headphones quiet with US-1800

I have a Tascam US-1800 I'm using in a small home recording space. I monitor with KRK KNS-6400 headphones through the headphone jack on the interface, but I'm having trouble getting sufficient volume from them.

When I record, say, vocals and acoustic guitar, with an SM58 and pickup in the guitar going to the instrument input, I can easily adjust the gain to get good recording levels in Audition without clipping, but, at those levels I pretty much can't hear a thing through the cans, with the headphone knob maxed and the mix knob all the way to Input.

It's only when I crank the volume on the input channels that I can get enough volume in the headphones to mostly overcome the room sound (despite the -26dB NR in the KRKs), but of course at these gain levels there is copious clipping.

The KRKs are plenty loud with other sources, and other headphones suffer the same problem on my US-1800.

Do I need to amp the 'phones? Is this common?
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Yes it's common with my Motu and many other interfaces.
I use a headphone amp (Presonus HP4) between my outputs and monitors. Works well as I use 2 sets of cans to check mixes and the mute and monitor volume controls are handy to have in one place instead of fiddling with software menus.
Old 28th January 2013
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
OK, that's good to know. Thank you. My music store has the HP4, and it seems OK according to reviews. What would you think of the Behringer HA4700 for the same purpose? It fared similarly in reviews, but has a few more options and is rack mountable, which is a big plus for me.
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 5 years
I have the US1641 (previous model to the 1800) and it has the same problem. A headphone amp will fix it. I made a small Cmoy amp (look them up, they are easy to make) that I just keep in my pocket so I have a volume control right there. You should see the 1641 try to drive my Bayredynamic DT100's :P

I will also use my Mackie mixer headphone out if I have that handy as well.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

13 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
Funny, I have the us1641 which seems to be identical, and I have a few different sets of phones I use. I have never been able to turn the phone level past 3 o clock and that's with the mix knob in the middle. You need to be able to keep it there so as to overdub.
Are you sure you have your input levels set properly? Or could it be those cans are real low output? did you try some other phones?
It was one of the best things about this unit compared to the M audio fast track I used to use. It had terrible headphone gain so I used a mixer to monitor.
๐Ÿ“ Reply