Quantcast
Pro Tools 10 changes/dulls guitar sound??? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pro Tools 10 changes/dulls guitar sound???
Old 27th January 2013
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Pro Tools 10 changes/dulls guitar sound???

Newbie here to the site,

I have an Line 6 HD 500 POD that I want to use for recording.
When I use POD's XLR's outputs to a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 preamps 1 and 2
and have Pro Tools 10 setup to use the Saffire via firewire, the sound is duller than compared to when I hook it up to Garageband.
This tells me something in Pro Tools is changing the sound, (Pro Tools drivers?)
I'm not sure what is going on but in Garageband the HD500 sounds great, especially if i use a convoltution plugin with impulse response files. I have also tried this in Pro Tools with mixIR2 and impulse response files.

Is Pro Tools giving me a "true" sound or is Garageband coloring the sound to sound clear and pronounced.

Sorry for the ignorance but I would like to use the HD500 and Pro Tools to do my recording, as I have tried many plugins with IRs in Pro Tools and If I could achieve the same sound as I got in Garageband, and have that come thru in Pro Tools, I could be a happy camper.

Also, I use Mackie HR824's, but shouldn't have anything to do with this.

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks,
BMoe
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 5 years
This sounds strange to me. Ive never heard this. If this was the case no one would be using pro tools lol. Only thing I could think of if its that major of a difference is maybe there is EQ on the master in the garage band template? Thats a pure guess though.
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
software DAWs are flat, i learned the hard way. one of my guesses is there might be slight differences in amplitude caused by the conversion when importing the audio if thats what you are doing try normalizing, or if recorded in multiple takes maby its differences in performances? or maybe your just haveing hardware and software communication problems, maby even different sample rates or bit rez between programs?
Old 27th January 2013
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Thanks Modern and skillz for answering,

I will check on the EQ thing.

This is what I suspect that Pro Tools is more flat. When I had Windows Vista with Cubase I did a little test along with Reaper and Reaper was flatter sounding. I can still get some good guitar sound with Pro Tools. but just "duller"

ModernMixing,

I am not importing just connecting into the Saffire into a Pro Tools audio track, but I will try the import from Garageband to Pro Tools and see what happens.

Thanks again for both your responses.
BMoe
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
For the best sound with your setup you should use the SPDIF IO and stay digital all the way. And no, a DAW will not alter the sound unless you do something wrong (which is easier to do with analog connections) or tell it to.
Old 14th April 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoe โžก๏ธ
Thanks Modern and skillz for answering,

I will check on the EQ thing.

This is what I suspect that Pro Tools is more flat. When I had Windows Vista with Cubase I did a little test along with Reaper and Reaper was flatter sounding. I can still get some good guitar sound with Pro Tools. but just "duller"

ModernMixing,

I am not importing just connecting into the Saffire into a Pro Tools audio track, but I will try the import from Garageband to Pro Tools and see what happens.

Thanks again for both your responses.
BMoe
Hi Bmoe,
I know what you are talking about, I'm just curious if you found the reason for it yet? Also what type of track are you creating when you record guitar in GB? Is it a real instrument or a guitar track?
๐Ÿ“ Reply