Daisy Chaining Midi and RCA - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Daisy Chaining Midi and RCA
Old 25th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Daisy Chaining Midi and RCA

Hey Guys,

King Noob here. I was planning on connecting my Yamaha my QY70 to my paKOntrol via midi, then to my SP404sx via MIDI, then to my Kaossillator pro via RCA, then to my KP3 via RCA, then to my Multi-track recorder DP008 via RCA.

Does this connection work? Since I have zero experience, and since I haven't received my equipment yet, I don't know if a mixture of midi and RCA connections is viable. And yes I've searched the Internet for this info and I couldn't find anything. I think it's just one of those pieces of information that is just so rudimentary, that nobody even really addresses it.

I apologize in advance if anyone is utterly annoyed by this post.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
MIDI is a control protocol and does not contain audio.

RCA connectors can be used for both unbalanced analog audio as well as S/PDIF digital audio.

You can chain MIDI instruments via MIDI in/out/thru connections but no audio is being handled--just control information like: what key/button is engaged and things like how hard and for how long, etc. This is not sound.

You could hit START/STOP on one MIDI-equipped device and have it control the same function of another unit. You could hit C3 on one keyboard and have another play the same note. Sequencers control synths and sound modules this way.

Audio is a different story. Digital audio is not compatible with analog audio so the signals are not interchangeable despite the fact that they may use the same connector type (like RCA or XLR).

The DP008 has two analog 1/4" inputs and two XLR inputs (no digital). These are the only audio inputs. The pair of RCA connectors are for audio output only. You'll have to make due with the limitation for simultaneous inputs, but you can always overdub more parts subsequently.
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks for the quick response. Okay great. So output from the QY70 - midi - padKontrol - midi - SP404sx connection will register on my monitors and DP008? The padKOntrol is DC powered by the way.
Old 25th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
What would be the preferred way to connect the aforementioned equipment in the original post? The padKontrol has no RCA inputs/outputs only midi. Second, the DP008 only has audio jacks. Third, im trying to keep a computer out of the equation (for now). So what's a noob to do?
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Your production goals are not clear to me since what you have are:

a tone module/sequencer (QY70)
a sampler/fx unit (SP404sx)
two controller FX units (KP3, Kaoscillator Pro)
a straight controller (padKONTROL)
a 2-channel input multitrack recorder (DP008)

Only the QY70 and Kaoscillator Pro have onboard sounds. The samplers need to have sounds loaded into them before they can play back any audio. The padKONTROL is only a trigger for other devices that output sound.

You cannot connect all of the audio outputs of all of your gear simultaneously to the DP008.

Once again, I'm not sure what you are trying to do with this set-up. It would not seem to be a functionally complementary rig. You could hook up the outs of the DP008 to a pair of monitors and monitor you recordings/playback, but hearing the output of all of your sources at once is not possible--you would have to overdub/stack tracks to hear more than two channels at once.
πŸ“ Reply