Quantcast
proper effects routing????? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
proper effects routing?????
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Question proper effects routing?????

I need some advice on this. I recently upgraded to a setup that provides me with many more inputs and outputs. I have a korg kp3 that i want to use for processing my synths and samplers.

The signal chain in question is as follows: moog slim phatty(mono) to mxr carbon copy(mono analog delay) then into one mono channel on my interface.

I want to send that mono signal to the kp3 which has stereo in(rca) and stereo out(rca).

Should I keep the moog's audio in mono until it leaves the kp3 and returns to the interface as stereo?

I currently have the moog setup to hit send outputs 3 & 4 which are "linked" and panned left and right thus entering the kp3 as a stereo signal. Is this wrong or undesirable?
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
If the moog is mono anyway, you just have the mono signal 2 times. On the right and on the left channel. I dont see a problem with that.

But the MXR only has one mono jack input or?

I would record the moog in mono and dry (without the MXR). Then output the mono signal to the MXR, the advantage of that is, you can change the delay any time or dump it, cause its not already recorded with the moog signal.

Look in the manual of the KP, maybe you can set the input to mono. Or just use one of the inputs.

But I see another problem. The KP works with a -10dbv level. The usual recording interfaces/DAW's work with +4dbu. (its about 3 times the voltage of -10dbv)

So if you hit the KP with a normal 0dbfs signal from your DAW it will clip very very hard.

cheers
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 5 years
"But the MXR only has one mono jack input or?"

Right. It is essentially a guitar pedal with a mono in and a mono out.

"I would record the moog in mono and dry (without the MXR). Then output the mono signal to the MXR, the advantage of that is, you can change the delay any time or dump it, cause its not already recorded with the moog signal."

I thought of doing that. For some reason I had thought it was better to run guitar-type effect pedals direct as opposed to using them in an effects send chain. Currently, it runs directly from my moog and then to a switchable passive di box before hitting the interface as a mono signal. It is claimed that the mxr has "true bypass" so the effect doesn't have to be used every time.

"But I see another problem. The KP works with a -10dbv level. The usual recording interfaces/DAW's work with +4dbu. (its about 3 times the voltage of -10dbv)

So if you hit the KP with a normal 0dbfs signal from your DAW it will clip very very hard."

I didn't notice any clipping during my initial testing but I'll check later to verify. Are you saying that the sends/outputs on my interface are likely at +4 db? Could I just control the output levels with the software mixer?
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…