Advice on Mic pre and interface - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Advice on Mic pre and interface
Old 23rd January 2013
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Advice on Mic pre and interface

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for some advice on improving my current set-up. I'm running a Neumann TLM 49 mic through an Mbox 3 (working as pre and interface) into PT9 (On MAC). This is only for single vocal tracks, so no instruments etc...

However, I'm looking to add a better quality preamp, possibly a tube model like the Avalon VT 737. I'm assuming, the Avalon will give me a more solid warmer sound than the Mbox... don't get me wrong, the Mbox is a nice bit of kit, but I'm really looking to upgrade my set-up to a more professional level. I'm happy with my Neumann mic, and my recording booth is really great... it's just the preamp and interface that needs looking at.

Would anybody have any suggestions about, firstly this particular Avalon model as a mic pre for vocals, and how best to fix this up to PT9.... is another interface required, and what?

Thanks
Old 24th January 2013
If you can stretch your budget a bit more, a decent AD converter will give you a bit more clarity and perspective on your sound. Lynx Hilo is a sweet piece of gear with top notch DA conversion as well!
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Call_me_Switters โžก๏ธ
If you can stretch your budget a bit more, a decent AD converter will give you a bit more clarity and perspective on your sound. Lynx Hilo is a sweet piece of gear with top notch DA conversion as well!
+1 on that!
Absolutely great piece of kit right there,
Old 24th January 2013
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
I hadn't seen the Hilo before, looks great and from what I can find about it online, it's getting good reviews... so you think with my Neumann and an Avalon VT 737, it would be worth it.... I'm guessing that connecting the Hilo to PT9 there are no issues with compatibility (I know PT9 was supposed to be designed to take any kind of interface, but I've heard it's not quite so clear cut as that)
Out of curiosity, are you familiar with the Avalon preamp for vocals? Also, are there any other interfaces, let's say on a lower price scale than the Hilo, that might also be a viable option to connect with the Avalon?

Thanks
Old 24th January 2013
This Lyxn beauty can be connected via digital I/Os on your Mbox3. So no compatibility problems. Same way you can check a Benchmark, Mytec, Lavrie or any nice AD converter that might fit your budget! Just make sure that they have the same connection option to hook up with the Mbox.
๐Ÿ“ Reply