Quantcast
Apogee Symphony I/O Questions, Please Help! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apogee Symphony I/O Questions, Please Help!
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Apogee Symphony I/O Questions, Please Help!

So I'm looking at getting new I/O and since the Ensemble is now discontinued I might be looking at getting the Symphony. I'm really new to this whole thing I've had a focusrite Saffire Pro 40 for the last 3 years or so and there something wrong with in internally and at the moment I'm in Alberta Canada making better money that I usually would so I want to get something really good.

I need 16 in 16 out. Do I have to get the 16x16 module for that or can I use ADAT and connect my ADA8000 for utility pre's and then get another module down the road to replace it. I see theres Optical out. What exactly does that mean and how do I connect Microphones to it. Tell me some options. I've been trying to research this and I've found a few answers but I'm still a little in the dark if this is even the right unit for me.
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Can I connect mic pre's to the AES in? what exactly is that for, just running effect through like an aux bus on a mixer?
Old 23rd January 2013
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanger ➑️
So I'm looking at getting new I/O and since the Ensemble is now discontinued I might be looking at getting the Symphony. I'm really new to this whole thing I've had a focusrite Saffire Pro 40 for the last 3 years or so and there something wrong with in internally and at the moment I'm in Alberta Canada making better money that I usually would so I want to get something really good.

I need 16 in 16 out. Do I have to get the 16x16 module for that or can I use ADAT and connect my ADA8000 for utility pre's and then get another module down the road to replace it. I see theres Optical out. What exactly does that mean and how do I connect Microphones to it. Tell me some options. I've been trying to research this and I've found a few answers but I'm still a little in the dark if this is even the right unit for me.
Sure it would be best to just get the 16x16 setup but yea you can attach any Optical ADA converters to the Optical Ports on the Apogee 8x8x8 Modules.

So would you order the 8x8x8 SI/O and connect your ADA800 unit to the optical ports for extra Analog I/O to the System. With SI/O's USB Driver, you can do 16 I/O with your Workstation.

You need Preamplifiers for your microphones, unless you get the 8MP Apogee Module, which gives you Eight Pre's, so you can patch them right to the unit. But most users have external Mic Preamplifiers which drive the Line Level inputs of the Apogee.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Welcome! First of all the Saffire Pro 40 is a very good interface, great sound for the money. The Ensemble certainly is a significant upgrade from there---but the Symphony, it's a whole other ballgame and one that certainly makes a great investment. Unlike previous converters that were simply inputs and outputs, the SYMPHONY has a built-in monitor level control saving you money from having to buy something like a Dangerous Music DBOX. That said there are advantages to an outboard monitor control but if it's just you with a single set of monitors, it's all you need.

As to your ADA8000 you CAN use it---but the converters on the Symphony are so much better. I have a client with this setup that has a set of VDRUMS going into the ADA8000 that was going ADAT into his previous interface, now that he has the Symphony we're going ANALOG to get the sound of the Symphony converters as opposed to the ADA8000. If you want to save money sure, get the 8x8 configuration and use the ADA8000 for inputs and outputs---then add an additional 8x8 card later. However it's much more cost-effective to do it up-front. That said---why do you need 16-outputs?
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Can I connect mic pre's to the AES in? what exactly is that for, just running effect through like an aux bus on a mixer?
AES/EBU are for interfacing Digital Devices,
so its Extra Digital I/O for the system
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I'm just about to head to work so I won't be able to answer many questions right now. I need 16 to record drums. I know I need mic pre's and I have a few in my sights. Ill post more tonight
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Thanks for the reply's everyone. I see that getting the 16x16 is probably the best way to go. How would I go about getting midi hooked up to a unit like this and if you use the Adat, what's the point of having the multi pin connector for the AES? I'm still hoping that apogee is going to release a replacement for the ensemble tomorrow.
Old 24th January 2013
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
You need to buy a simple MIDI interface. m-audio makes a cheap one

The DB25 AES/EBU multi-way connector is for interfacing eight Channels of AES/EBU equipment,

You would buy a multi-core AES/EBU XLR snake to use it.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I just got the email from apogee, there not replacing the ensemble just making stuff for the iPad :(
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Another question, if I wanted to get Pro Tools, I need a card of some sort. Is it possible to install that into an Imac?
Old 24th January 2013
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
You can just buy the Native PT10 Software, and use the Apogee with USB
It does not sound like you need Pro Tools HD Core Card Interfacing, which is sold by Avid as a complete system.

You can start with the 16x16 SI/O using USB Audio mode, as it works great with Imac's and Laptops up to 16 Channels of I/O.

If you want to Expand the Unit beyond that with more AD DA converters, you would simply purchase the SI/O 64-Thunderbolt Interface to connect your Imac. But you could also add the 8MP board to SI/O's top module slot, which would add Eight High Quality Mic Amps.
πŸ“ Reply