Audio engineering schools nyc? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Audio engineering schools nyc?
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Audio engineering schools nyc?

Not quite sure which forum to post this in, but I'm looking for any suggestions on audio engineering schools or programs in NYC. Any suggestions would be appreciated
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
NYU Steinhardt has a cool program. Was looking into their Masters program, but couldn't relocate so it is out of the discussion.

Music Technology - NYU Steinhardt
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Nyu and sae are both very good and both very expensive I'm learning. I already have a degree in an unrelated field so I want take some classes and not necessarily an actual degree program
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Or, anyone know how to go about getting an internship/apprenticeship in NYC? Seems like a good way to learn. And I have a basic knowledge already
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Why not try finding a great engineer who'd be willing to teach you (for a fee). Who knows if you show your competent, he may stop charging you and then maybe start paying you. If not, you will probably still learn a heck of a lot.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernMixing ➑️
Why not try finding a great engineer who'd be willing to teach you (for a fee). Who knows if you show your competent, he may stop charging you and then maybe start paying you. If not, you will probably still learn a heck of a lot.
That would be great. I guess just call studios?
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Yes. That's a start

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Gearslutz App
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernMixing ➑️
Yes. That's a start

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Gearslutz App
Yeah. Know anyone in NYC who's looking for an apprentice/assistant??
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
The best way to find an apprentice/assistant position at a studio is to become a better networker. That means meet literally every you can and attend every possible social event related to audio. You can't barge in or call them uduring their busy work day. But if you can meet them, they will see your enthusiasm. There are a few stories of established producers/engineers that literally get their start by sweeping the floors at studios.

How bad do you want this? Get off the computer and meet real people in the real world! Best of luck
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonejunkee ➑️
The best way to find an apprentice/assistant position at a studio is to become a better networker...
The Recording Academy's New York chapter has a session this Wednesday with Bob Power. The Audio Engineering Society, NARIP, and the IEEE all have active chapters. All you gotta do is show up and say hello.

WW
Old 29th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Just signed up for a membership of the Audio Engineering Society (The Recording Academy membership was too expensive). Curious to read the Journal.

Anyone here a member of the AES?
Old 29th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
After reading lots of old threads about going or not going to some expensive schools, I'm still not sure of what to do.

I'm moving to NYC in june to live for 1 year (to accompany my wife on her doctoral studies) and I really wanted to study music production. I'm a musician and have always been interested in audio engineering and music production. I have a home studio here in Brazil that I've been working on for the past 3 years.

I was inclined to doing the SAE or the IAR engineering/production courses (the IAR costs $17000 and SAE $25000), but after this thread I'm thinking twice.

Would it be better if I could get an internship in a studio? Any recomendations?
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Mortimer,

Here's an option in between: the Recording Connection costs about $8400 and covers all the basic tech stuff. They place you with a studio as an intern to go over their lessons with the studio owner each week. A lot depends on the studio you get placed with, and if the first doesn't work out, they'll find you another. I did their course, and have stayed on as a volunteer assistant (or interminable intern) now for three years, just because it's fun and I can afford to. I do know a couple guys who took the course and managed to get their own studios up and running. PM me if you want to talk.

WW
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Way ➑️
Mortimer,

Here's an option in between: the Recording Connection costs about $8400 and covers all the basic tech stuff. They place you with a studio as an intern to go over their lessons with the studio owner each week. A lot depends on the studio you get placed with, and if the first doesn't work out, they'll find you another. I did their course, and have stayed on as a volunteer assistant (or interminable intern) now for three years, just because it's fun and I can afford to. I do know a couple guys who took the course and managed to get their own studios up and running. PM me if you want to talk.

WW
I looked into that.. But one quick search on gearslutz showed countless terrible reviews of that program saying its basically a scam and you learn nothing..
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My experience does not mesh with those postings. While I'm sure there are people who are not happy with their results, the same can be said for SAE, IAR, and NYU. While the Recording Connection is not for everyone, it is no scam, and I say that from direct experience. I took the course three years ago, and still assist in the studio where I took the course.

If you PM me, I'll give you my phone number and will be happy to talk about what I have experienced, who I have worked with, and what I got out of the program. When you are in New York, I can introduce you to the studio owner and some of the other engineers I have worked with. I think you will be surprised.

I am an amateur, but a pretty serious amateur, and have long been active in the AES, NARIP, IEEE, and the Recording Academy. If I have a recommendation, it is to meet real people in the business, in person, face to face, to learn what's what. These organizations can all help with that.

WW
Old 30th December 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…