Quantcast
The best way to learn music production? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The best way to learn music production?
Old 22nd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
The best way to learn music production?

I was wondering the best way to learn about music production? Is it college, universality, or just watching videos on YouTube? I don't know.

It could be all of them taken step by step but i don't know where to start or where it will go?

Do you have an idea that can help me start on the path of learning about music production?

I have Cubase Elements and have a little experience with it but when writing a song i can't put it all together, the lyrics, the sounds, the vocals.... Nothing.

So if you do please let me know?....
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Yeah i went out and bought a guitar, id doesn't sound that great, I thought it was broken but when other people play it it sound fine. I started practising and it sounds better now. I guess what I am trying to say is that a DAW is just an instrument for making music. It will take some practise to get good at it all.If you are patient and put in the work it will get better and easier.
Old 22nd January 2013
nas
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Luckily today there are several good resources to help educate yourself. Books, Magazine articles, video, the internet and Youtube... but by far the best way to learn is to try and be around those who are skilled and have experience. Whether this is at a school or in a real working environment, by spending time observing, listening and asking questions you will begin to get more familiar with the basics and various approaches. Then practice... practice... practice!! take what you've learned and apply it and try to improve on it... keep listening to music constantly and refine and develop your listening skills and taste.

It takes years to get good at it so don't be a in a rush and enjoy the ride.

Good luck!
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
As previous folks have said:

- Stay on this forum and read as much stuff as possible
- Read various books, magazines
- Study music theory and learn to play
- Listen to a lot of music
- Watch videos from various sources
- Study your software and tools
- Buy good gear
- Get in contact with similar lads as you
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Make music. The thing is...approaching it as learning "music production" is a fail. Music producers and even most engineers (different jobs) started by making music--with a guitar or keyboard or whatever.

Best way to learn ENGINEERING...work in a studio where you get exposed to a lot of different situations and people with experience.

I started playing guitar and writing songs...then I started doing arrangements in a local studio...that progressed into also engineering in said studio...which when it closed, led to my building a home studio where I continued to do arranging (or at this point, you might call it "production") for old clients of said studio and myself--sort of parallel paths. Musician/arranger...engineer.

So, the answer to learning to "produce music" in the most panned back form is learn to PLAY a musical instrument. Otherwise, what are you doing with Cubase?
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
YouTube is your super bestest friend!! alot of online schools post bits and pieces you can usually find what you need somewherez on the internet.
Old 23rd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I went to 2 different schools, one a world renown music school, and one a university with a dedicated program for recording industry related curriculum. In neither did I learn as much as hanging around musicians, studios, music stores and reading recording magazines and, most importantly, having my own little studio and experimenting.

We didn't have anything like the internet in those days. Yotube is great for learning.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
"Producer" means so many different things to people. A lot of times it's the generic term used for anyone working in a studio or involved with music in some fashion. What part of production appeals to you most? It's not likely you're going to be a great composer, writer, engineer, singer, musician etc. It's more likely that you'll be great at one of those and decent at a few others. Start with the one you want to do most. If you had to only choose one aspect which would it be? You would be a great_______.
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I would also recommend attending a short course ( or full time if you like) in music production. I found that having someone to answer your questions and demonstrate to you right there and then speeds up the learning process and, you get to meet like minded people too. One thing though...., you will find that
the fees in most places ( esp the private ones ) are way too expensive so finding a course through collage is usually cheaper,and depending on how old you are, and weather you are employed or unemployed, it could be free/discounted.

Take a look at this: Music Courses, Access To Music College offering Courses in Music and Music Education Production Training Courses or if you can find something similar near where you are, i think it would be worth taking.

Good Luck
Old 18th November 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I think the best way to learn is to see how others doing it. Also you can talk to them during they edit your session online. I made a few lessons already with them, and got some very interesting multitrack stems, like Bruno Mars. Was digistormers (digistormers.com), search them in google.
Old 18th November 2016
Lives for gear
....and there's something called the lost art of mentoring

If you can, try to get a good mentor - this is crucial on so many levels, struggle is overrated and you'll realize that after spending some time with someone who actually knows stuff...
Old 18th November 2016
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
interning at a studio is an option
Old 18th November 2016
Deleted 3cb98a6
And if that don.t work out you can alway start helping out setting up stages at live venues. No need for big one...but with/for someone who is willing to explain a thing or two along the way.

You will get to know people..before you know it..you will be doing the monitor mixes.
πŸ“ Reply