Quantcast
Reversed Vocals - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Reversed Vocals
Old 22nd January 2013
Reversed Vocals

I know this has been done to death, but I'm not getting it.

We decided to go ahead and cover 'Burn' by Alkaline Trio. I'm trying to duplicate a section in the song, located around 2:30 here: Alkaline Trio - Burn - YouTube

You can hear the lower vocal track crescendo into the actual track, and I can't seem to get it right.

I've read alot of posts saying how they've been able to do this by reversing the audio and adding reverb then bouncing the track and reversing it again. Apparently this is all going over my head because Ive been at this for the whole evening to no avail.

How much of the line do I need to use? How should i set up the reverb on the track, as a plug-in on the channel or an FX send?

I am using Studio One and I'm guessing the process is a little different because I don't see some of the things they're saying to click on and such. I've seen people in Logic just bounce the track and it appears below on a new track. Some other DAWs I've seen, they export the piece as a wav file and bring it back in. Is anyone familiar with Studio One enough to walk me through this? Or at least give me some general, but detailed instructions?
Old 22nd January 2013
Here for the gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodieskiddlz ➡️
I know this has been done to death, but I'm not getting it.

We decided to go ahead and cover 'Burn' by Alkaline Trio. I'm trying to duplicate a section in the song, located around 2:30 here: Alkaline Trio - Burn - YouTube

You can hear the lower vocal track crescendo into the actual track, and I can't seem to get it right.

I've read alot of posts saying how they've been able to do this by reversing the audio and adding reverb then bouncing the track and reversing it again. Apparently this is all going over my head because Ive been at this for the whole evening to no avail.

How much of the line do I need to use? How should i set up the reverb on the track, as a plug-in on the channel or an FX send?

I am using Studio One and I'm guessing the process is a little different because I don't see some of the things they're saying to click on and such. I've seen people in Logic just bounce the track and it appears below on a new track. Some other DAWs I've seen, they export the piece as a wav file and bring it back in. Is anyone familiar with Studio One enough to walk me through this? Or at least give me some general, but detailed instructions?

I do this all the time. Here is how to do it:

Lets take for example that the first word in a verse starts with "The". Do the following:

1) Reverse "The"
2) Add a long reverb (try 5-6s and %100 wet)
3) Resample (record) "The" and make sure to get the whole tail.
4) Reverse the new sample and optionally add some reverb or delay to it.

done and done. here is an example from a track i mixed two days ago.
Attached Files

reverse.mp3 (167.8 KB, 170 views)

Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
hmmm, I see. Would I be cutting "The" out of the actual track, or am I copying it to another empty track?
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodieskiddlz ➡️
hmmm, I see. Would I be cutting "The" out of the actual track, or am I copying it to another empty track?
just copy it onto another track.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…