Quantcast
ATB 24 original - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ATB 24 original
Old 20th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
ATB 24 original

I have a chance to get an original Toft ATB 24 original series /w meterbridge for under 5k. Just wondering since they have upgraded these consoles are the upgrades significant? Are there problems with the older consoles? I'll be using this with a protools HD system. Anything I should be aware of? I have heard something of electronics being upgraded. I would hope the old consoles had balanced input and outputs. Thanks for any info.
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I have an atb 32 version 1 that I got for really cheap. I researched alot and read about various possible problems. The store i bought it from seemed to think there was issues with the thing too. I was able to rent the board for a month to try it out to see if it worked well. In my case it only had very minor issues. Not sure if u are able to try before u buy but this worked out for me and I love my atb.
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
The main difference (from memory) is that the direct outs are balanced, and I think the speaker outs too (although I'm not sure about that). The manufacturers have said that they don't think it is an improvement sound wise, but they did it mostly to satisfy customer requests.

It also has structural parts inside to hold things in place better.

It also has solo lights per channel. The first version did not.

There might be some more, but I can't remember

Also, something to do with the meter bridge is different, on the older versions you have to actually get inside and do some soldering to set it to display some type of signal, like direct outs of something.. (sorry for the vagueness, you may have to look this one up if it's important)

I found a quote from AlanHyatt here on gearslutz:
Quote:
"Sonically, there is really no difference. All upgrades that were done were were related to shipping issues. While we have done some nice improvements, they are pot related, fader and some balancing. These do not effect the sound.

If you are in a small room, you do not need balancing options unless you run long lengths of cables."
matt
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
They may have improved/changed the power supply in some way. I think I read something about that.
Old 21st January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks all for the info! I'm trying to find out if its version 2 since I was told that anything with a serial number 500 and above is the new version...saw that in a post but don't know if its true. I'm surprised the console didn't have balanced direct outs or speaker outs? Thought that would be standard on any console today.
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmd ➑️
Thanks all for the info! I'm trying to find out if its version 2 since I was told that anything with a serial number 500 and above is the new version...saw that in a post but don't know if its true. I'm surprised the console didn't have balanced direct outs or speaker outs? Thought that would be standard on any console today.
Like Alan Hyatt said, there is no point (sound-wise). They only changed them to balanced to please people who thought they should be balanced. That said, I'd prefer balanced (mine is unbalanced) just so I don't have to think about it when patching stuff, I would know it's all balanced.

Remember you will need a LOT of cables and a patch-bay to take advantage of the boards features.

matt
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt thomas ➑️

Remember you will need a LOT of cables and a patch-bay to take advantage of the boards features.

matt
Haha! Matt you've just summed up my whole back room. I used to be all analogue at one point! I've got more cables and patch bays than I know what to do with! Guess I'll put them back to work.

Mike
πŸ“ Reply