Quantcast
Recording ElectroAcoustic guitar line/instr/mic - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recording ElectroAcoustic guitar line/instr/mic
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Recording ElectroAcoustic guitar line/instr/mic

Was hoping to get some input here. Its just a basic thing, but still im a bit confused. I have a fender cutaway nylon guitar with built in preamp. And i want to connect it to my focusrite liquid saffire 56 interface.
The 2 instr. inputs on the saffire is for connecting electric guitar/bass that uses passive electronics. So the question is : Which inputs on the audio interface should i choose when connecting an acoustic guitar that has built in active preamp? And is it necessary to get a d.i box?
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Try the inst input first.
If signal is to hot, try the line.
If neither of those work or you don't like the sound, use a DI box connected to a mic input.

Hard to say what will work best without knowing the output level and impedance of the source. Most if not all guitar pickups are high impedance,
If its an active instrument, or acoustic with built in pre amp, it could be low impedance. The output is prob somewhere between inst and line level depending on the preamp in it.

Most DI's will accept an instrument or a line level and give you a low impedance mic level output.
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Thanks for your input.

This is the onboard preamp that the guitar is equipped with:

Isys+ (OEM) - Fishman Transducers, Inc.

I was hoping i could find some specs about the output level and impedance, but at least ive found out that the battery is 9v and lasts 111hours

Since i have no di box yet to try it out, i have to stick with a "theoretical" viewpoint.

Just a thought, but if i do use an active d.i box to pass the signal into the interface, doesnt that mean that the signal passes through 3 preamps before being recorded?
1 in the guitar 1 in the di box and 1 in the audio interface?
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just plug it into the instrument input. You can also put a mic up and blend the two.
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Yes, but is it necesary to have a d.i box if im gonna record an acoustic guitar that has built in pickup and preamp?
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
No one said you need an active DI and you don't have one, so try the other options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manfrensengensen ➑️
Try the inst input first.
If signal is to hot, try the line.
If neither of those work or you don't like the sound, use a DI box connected to a mic input.
You will have to experiment and decide for yourself what sounds best to you.

Acoustic guitars are usually recorded with condenser microphones to get the most realistic
Representation on a recording.
πŸ“ Reply