Different reverbs in the mix - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Different reverbs in the mix
Old 19th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Different reverbs in the mix

Hi!
Just interested how do you use reverberation during mixing?
I am usually make two or three auxes with different ambiences - like, room, plate and hall (usually I take large halls from M6K and all short stuff from Lexx 960 via AES) plus long and short delays. It seems to be logical to have no more than three different planes in the mix - close, mid and distant. And for example, close plane can be just dry or short delay/room. That's always work for me. I am always make reverbs near the end of mixing process.

But often I note that pro mixers process different channels/instruments thru different reverbs easily - not take attention to overall picture, they just use MANY different ambiences on different elements.. Just by sense?? Seems to be not so 3D-placed?

sorry for my rus-english )
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Your English is fine...! (and better than my Russian..!)

I'm actually having fun experimenting with some really different ways of running reverb (and delay) at the moment....

I think it's one of the things a lot of new engineers get very wrong!

Generally I tend to run a main verb for the vocal, and main one for the drums (usually Valhalla Room, although I also occasionally use Sonnox or RenVerb) just on AUX's.

Then I have at least three (usually way more) delays.... A long half note, a dotted quarter note, a slap to the left and a slap to the right.

I also always have at least two delays which are set up for the vocal to do quite prominent echoes of important lines (a la Owl City)...

All of these are automated... Nothing stays as is for the whole song.

I pretty much always de-ess before the reverb on vocals, and I always EQ (usually cutting below about 100Hz and above about 6k).

Recently I've also started using some really dirty delays and verbs (like for instance DVerb through Decapitator. I'm quite enjoying that... Real horrible grungy reverb.... Like the total opposite of what was used in the '80s...!

Or, just today, using DVerb with Filter Freak, so that it had some serious movement in the verb... Lots of fun!!
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think it depends on what you are using the reverb for. Is it an "effect " or to create realism in a disjointed sounding group of sounds. I just say get crazy with it for a while and turn a lot of dials and surf a lot of presets until your ear gets attuned to whats going on. When you hear a preset you like , look at the settings and make mental note of them. How much early relection, how long of a tail, how much dampening etc does that preset have. Try delays stacked with reverb or vice versa. Try getting your reverb loud on a source and then tame it with eq. Try anything!!! Many happy accident are what developed todays tried and true "go to " standards of recording and mixing.

If you want to hear a master of reverb, listen to Yes 90125 or Big Generator. Trevor Horn is a master at it. He seems to use a lot of mono reverbs and pans them hard left or right in many cases. Those recordings are to me the epitome of a clinic on use of ambience.

Also read Mike Seniors book Mix Secrets for the Small Studio. His section on reverb is worth the price of the book.

To me , when everything else is right it's the ambience of a track that separates the men from the boys.
Old 20th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by targa2 ➑️
it's the ambience of a track that separates the men from the boys.
Yup!
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Im probably different in the fact that I dont set up and Reverb aux's before I start because I have no idea what reverbs I might use or if it needs any. I'll just start adding reverbs as I see fit, when ever my brain tells me I need something. Sometimes its none and sometimes its 5. different everytime.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Thanx!
I am talk about perspective of the mix - overall picture, not as efx. So, I am on my way with two/three planes and their combinations.

Ps: We buy Euphonix cs 3000 from Trevor some time ago )
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Why you move this topic to newbie? I am a pro mixer ) i just want to know different approach to..
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
ill use 3-5 different reverbs per song. i dont buy into the "everything recorded in the same room" approach that some engineers swear by.
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for snowflakes

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruenburger ➑️

ill use 3-5 different reverbs per song. i dont buy into the "everything recorded in the same room" approach that some engineers swear by.
Funny - I usually do the same thing, but with an eye toward sorta creating the illusion of everything happening in the same space.

I kinda try to make each reverb create an imaginary "area" of the same imaginary "room".

Sometimes the reverb for one "area" will partially feed other reverbs (sometimes not).

...And any delay running on an instrument from one imaginary "area" will usually be fed to one (or more) of the reverbs for other "areas" (but NOT to its own).

Anybody else do anything like this?
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Exactly. Reverb can be it's own instrument.
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneman ➑️
Exactly. Reverb can be it's own instrument.
Exactly.

Plate reverb long predelay on Snare
Room ambience on drum buss
Plate reverb on most vocals
Hall on singing
Spring on guitars

This would all be on one song.
πŸ“ Reply