Quantcast
*focusrite scarlet preamp question* - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
*focusrite scarlet preamp question*
Old 19th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
*focusrite scarlet preamp question*

So I'm looking at purchasing the Focusrite Scarlet 8i6 USB but I was wondering how the pre amps work ? Is there no need for a pre amp if you have this interface? What does it do to my sound? Does it compress it etc..
And to people who own this, does it do the job? Is it worth the 200$? Should I get a smaller version of the scarlet series? I'm replacing my Alesis io2
Old 19th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
A preamp is just taking a weak microphone signal and amplifying it into a usable signal
Old 19th January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzards ➡️
A preamp is just taking a weak microphone signal and amplifying it into a usable signal
So what does it mean if they say it comes with 2 award winning pre amps? What if an interface has no pre amps?
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFlores ➡️
So what does it mean if they say it comes with 2 award winning pre amps? What if an interface has no pre amps?
If an interface has no preamps, then its inputs would all be line-level and you'd have to buy an external preamp if you wanted to connect a microphone to it.
Old 19th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I've been using a Scarlett 2i2 for about 6 months now & think it's great. Pretty basic version of the 8i6 but just 2 in/out & usb conn. Same 2 combo jack inputs with sep gain pots for the pres, line/inst input switch for TR/TRS, phantom pwr, headphone vol & monitor vol control.

Serves my purposes well in that I don't record multiple instruments & only really need the usb & speaker outs.

As with some other posts, my 2i2 has enough gain at the Inst level (adds @ +10-13 dB w/ zero gain) in that I have to use a DI box to keep signal input from clipping (one solution). With the 8i6 you have the option of using the Focusrite Scarlett Mix Control which will give you a sftw mixer that adds flexibility...if you need or want flexibility.

The mic pre's work well & offer up nice, clear, clean signal from any dynamic or condenser mic I've run thru it.

Overall my experience has been that these Scarlett units are a decent value & compare well with other products in this price range. The 8i6 offers up features (MIDI in/out, analog outs...etc) that if you use 'em are worth the relatively small cost difference. If you just want basic, the 2i2 works great.
📝 Reply